Who is that suite actually designed for? What kind of family needs 2.5 bathrooms yet never cooks an actual meal? I guess it's for two corporate law/financial types too busy and too wealthy to get their hands dirty peeling potatoes to feed their private school tots. Who else could afford it?

Who is that suite actually designed for? What kind of family needs 2.5 bathrooms yet never cooks an actual meal? I guess it's for two corporate law/financial types too busy and too wealthy to get their hands dirty peeling potatoes to feed their private school tots. Who else could afford it?
It's actually not really designed for anyone. It's designed by the developers' architects with an eye on squeezing out as much usable space as possible while maximizing the use of the floorplate. There's no standard amount of kitchen space required, so they do the minimum amount required to squeeze in the appliances and fixtures, and have a bit of space left over for storage.

As long as consumers continue purchasing units like this, they will continue to be built.

indeed it is. in fact, I think it's bigger than some of the units in downtown Japan... but if you consider suburban areas, it's about the same size... or slightly smaller..

Yeah, that kitchen is ridiculous.
All upper cabinets look short in height. Cabinets bove those will be hard to reach.
Maybe a few drawers under the stovetop and wall oven.
Skinny drawers between fridge and sink.

Last edited:
Tokyo has over 35 million people. They can justify having tiny units.

We don't need excess space to live. I'd rather we reserve space for nature then to let people have kitchens 5x the size they need.

I'm thinking most people are going to design and install their own islands (where possible). So the linear kitchen makes a nice centrepiece, and you get to inject some of your own personality into the room.

If we're building vertically what space is there to reserve?

Required kitchen size is largely dependent on the amount of cooking you do. If you eat out every day and can manage to burn a pot of boiling water then maybe you don't need much of a kitchen. If you like to cook, have a family and/or like to entertain then you probably need something larger and more functional. The problem isn't that some units have these very minimal kitchens - the problem is that most new units have these very minimal kitchens. Given that the plan given was for a three bedroom unit and thus more geared towards a family it would make more sense to have something decently sized. A standard bachelor pad maybe doesn't need a gourmet kitchen, but a unit like this should have something larger than what's been presented here.

Comparing to Asian and other eastern cities doesn't work either. Sure they often have less space in their kitchens, but their cultures are also very different. In many places you won't even find an oven in a standard kitchen, something which would be completely unacceptable to most people here. Some places, hiring a live in maid/cook is affordable to even most middle class families. While most of us could probably learn to live with a little less space, shoehorning someone with a north american cultural background into the idealized space requirements of someone living on another continent is not something I think we should be aspiring to.

I apologize in advance for reviving this thread without bringing any updates but I was actually looking for updates on the construction.
My understanding is that the project was 90% sold (or even sold out). When do you guys think the construction will start?

day-cam23-landscaped01-640w.jpg

http://www.tridel.com/communities/tenyork

Back