e8vDCwJ.jpg

photo by Highway_401

Great vantage point, though I've always found this view of this portion of our skyline rather unappealing. It's the ugliest angle of Ice condos and many other buildings in the south-of-Union / Southcore district, and none of the buildings seem to look good next to each other in both orientation, colour, and scale.
Perhaps the look is attributed to the more abstract street grid than what sits above the tracks in the financial district, and large, unoccupied parcels of land in which so many large-scale developments have risen in such a short period of time.
While I don't think 10 York will save this particular view, it'll certainly have its own character, being wedge-shaped, and a standalone in a sea of twin-tower condo developments.
Will also add to one of the most impressive stretches for car commercials.

That shot is from a bit behind the optimum spot for that view of the city, and while taste is subjective of course, I don't agree that none of it looks good from the west. Ïce looks great from every angle, AFAIC!

Just walked past and on the south side they've started installing some cladding. It's all spandrel for now. Between the spandrel glass, those thick vertical pieces I thought looked more like darker beige precast in the renders, but the installed pieces have a smooth white finish.

There's also a subtle fritt pattern on the glass but it might be harder to see with all the reflection in these shots.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2,329
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    786.5 KB · Views: 2,269
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2,310
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    899.9 KB · Views: 2,297
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    803.7 KB · Views: 2,278
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    679.7 KB · Views: 2,256
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    993.5 KB · Views: 2,266
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    784.1 KB · Views: 2,232
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    799 KB · Views: 2,251
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    706 KB · Views: 2,237
Interesting. I think, if you look at the first render in the database file, it looks as though there might be a different colour scheme planned for the podium and that we shouldn't necessarily conclude (unfortunately, IMHO) that the white scheme will continue up the tower. I actually would've preferred that, and I hope I'm proven wrong in this case, because I think it'd make the tower stand out a bit more (and it could use some help).

Just getting around to photos shot over a week ago and more up on site
June 15
27785382732_e28061fe40_h.jpg

27886430025_cbbd67fcb7_h.jpg

27785393732_a1e9f22d0d_h.jpg

27809832371_731e14fa88_h.jpg

27809835391_b7a1871d49_h.jpg

27274186023_17eab0a556_h.jpg

27785411432_b3c87b2ffc_h.jpg

27274376324_dd2d746a04_h.jpg

Interesting. I think, if you look at the first render in the database file, it looks as though there might be a different colour scheme planned for the podium and that we shouldn't necessarily conclude (unfortunately, IMHO) that the white scheme will continue up the tower. I actually would've preferred that, and I hope I'm proven wrong in this case, because I think it'd make the tower stand out a bit more (and it could use some help).

I think this might be the cladding that's going up the front sides of the tower, at least that's what it looks like from the renders on the construction hoarding.
It's also where I got the impression that the lower podium was going to be some kind of textured precast, different from the tower cladding.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1,435
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 177
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,437
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,406
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,424
The spandrel looks decent. I seem to remember reading that it's shadow-boxed. So far so good.

Last edited:

Back