this just occured to me ...

facade design of The Avenue (minus the terracing) resembles that of the Minto Yorkville on Bay

architectural likeness

Both Minto's Prince Arthur project and the Avenue were designed by Page & Steele, hence the similarities
Good eye

Last edited:
so did Page and Steele design both Minto Prince Arthur (on Avenue Rd) and Minto Yorkville (on Bay St) ?

2 August 2009 photo update

As I was explaining to my gf the other day, the Avenue is to the Maybach what the black office tower on the right is to the current Rolls Royce Phantom: the former is vulgar tacky crap while the latter is timeless good taste!

dsc06889o.jpg

Thanks for the pic though I think you're being too hard on the Avenue. Cheers.

Last edited:
And for that matter, overgenerous on said black tower, which is really "average" as such things go--though great that it's survived without recladding or other such disfigurements...

Not my cup of tea but well done for what it is. My parents like it. They're in their seventies. My sister likes it. She's a Gluckstein/Marilyn Denis fan. Thanks for the pics.

Agree. Well done safe Page & Steele, Gluckstein type project. Nice to see that Camrost isn't cheaping out and is delivering on the vision.

This thing stands out on this stretch, which has a lot of modernist high rises. It looks like something better suited to Yorkville.

b r a v o !!

Daily Commercial News

Grinding away on The Avenue condos in Toronto
August 25, 2009

140.jpg

WILLIAM CONWAY/PROGRESS PHOTOGRAPHY

Inside work moves along on The Avenue condos at St. Clair Avenue West and Avenue Road in Toronto. Toddglen Avenue Ltd. is construction manager of the 19-storey, 73-unit project, which will include four levels of underground parking.

The Avenue Condos were designed by Page + Steele Inc. Consultants are: Jablonsky, Ast & Partners (structural); MCW Consultants Ltd. (mechanical/electrical); and PD3 Planning & Design Solutions (landscape). Subtrades include: Four Winds Construction (underground drainage); Anpro Environmental Group Inc. (excavation); Bermingham Construction Ltd. (shoring/caissons); Gilbert Steel Ltd.; Highview Forming Inc.; OZZ Corp. (electrical); and University Plumbing & Heating.

http://www.dailycommercialnews.com/article/id35056

It taking sometime to get the top of this building finish for some reason.

Sidewalk replacement underway with hording to come down shortly. This will make the car folks happy.

IMG_sept-10-090106.jpg

IMG_sept-10-090112.jpg

IMG_sept-10-090114.jpg

IMG_sept-10-090115.jpg

IMG_sept-10-090116.jpg

IMG_sept-10-090117.jpg

IMG_sept-10-090118.jpg

Back