What should be the permanent name for the park under the Gardiner?

• The Artery

Votes: 12 6.5%
  • The Bentway

Votes: 77 41.8%
  • Under Gardiner

Votes: 52 28.3%
  • None of the above

Votes: 43 23.4%

• Total voters
The bridge has been part of the plans since the beginning. But yes, it will end up being a significant portion of the budget, along with all of the consultants who are involved

If you read through the Environmental Assessment you can see that it is trying very hard to suggest that building a bridge is the optimal solution to a problem that didn't really exist. Why didn't this assessment happen before the city spent money on traffic lights at June Callwoods Park??

Because the left hand never knows what the right hand is doing in this city. And because Ken Greenberg really wants a bridge.

If you read through the Environmental Assessment you can see that it is trying very hard to suggest that building a bridge is the optimal solution to a problem that didn't really exist. Why didn't this assessment happen before the city spent money on traffic lights at June Callwoods Park??
On Tuesday, May 31 at 6:30 PM at the Waterfront Neighbourhood Community Centre there is public meeting to discuss the programming. If you can make it to that, you can make your point about the bridge then.

I've probably mentioned this before, but I can't get why they wouldn't name this The Underway. Makes sense given the location, easy to say, easy to reference, keeps things simple.

They're doing a runoff between the top two horrible names. Bentway vs Artery. Missed opportunity to reboot this and pick an inspiring name.

The names are bad. And it was clear right from the start that the brain trust wanted "The Bentway." The logos depicting the bents, the pains to explain what bents are. If you wanted some public buy-in, a naming contest and public idea meetings were a great and cheap way to do so.

But hey, I don't have to use the name. I still call it SkyDome. I still call the nearby movie theatre the Paramount (not the bank, a name still makes no sense except to a marketer). I call it Dundas Square, not adding the needless "Yonge-" to the name.

And it's at least a place that looks like it might be really great.

I agree that they had a perfect excuse to scrap the whole thing and stick with Under Gardiner. It still has to go to Council for final approval, but they're not likely to change it so The Bentway it will be. Hopefully it will end up being a great place with a crappy name.

Of the two crappy names, I still prefer the Artery. At least it can make use of capitalization to create The ARTery which kind of makes sense given what's going under the Gardiner. The Bentway is just a horrendous name, no matter what they try to rationalize.

In a runoff, if about the same people who voted on the first round, vote again, I don't think that the Bentway stands a chance. Even after all the propaganda "Bents" received in the months long process, being hinted at on the page where people were supposed to propose a name, it still only received no more than 35% of the vote. With no vote splitting, I'm curious to see what will happen.

Since so few people actually even voted the first time (I didn't because there was no "none of the above" category, nor was keeping Under Gardiner proposed), I wonder how many will even bother to vote again.

undergardiner 10:30am via Hootsuite
We can now confirm that a small contingent of voters tried to manipulate the outcome by adding invalid votes to one of the frontrunner names.

The invalid votes came from individuals using fraudulent emails to vote multiple times per day. In other words, ballot box stuffing.

How do they know which emails were fraudulent? I never got an email to confirm my vote. This process gets more sketchy by the day.

They didn't 100% know but there were a number of emails that came in during the final hours of voting that were investigated.

I'm puzzled as to why anyone would go to such efforts to try and manipulate the results, so as to favour one uninspired name over a bunch of other uninspired names.

Back