Something by Max Dudler perhaps?

index.php

Everyone hates the upper half... I think it's going to be the ground floor that's the true disappointment. Low ceilings and cheap precast panels. Hurray!

^^ I don't know much about the cost of construction materials. Is this condo being built cheaply? I thought this condo was going for fairly high prices? If that's the case, how could they cheap-out by building a cheap building? Wouldn't the buyers be up in arms? If you pay big bucks, I would imagine buyers would want a high quality building made with expensive materials.

Last edited:
Everyone hates the upper half... I think it's going to be the ground floor that's the true disappointment. Low ceilings and cheap precast panels. Hurray!

Furthermore (as I mentioned a couple pages ago), the black windows at grade aren't an attractive feature for retail businesses to appeal to customers.

^^ I don't know much about the cost of construction materials. Is this condo being built cheaply? I thought this condo was going for fairly high prices? If that's the case, how could they cheap-out by building a cheap building? Wouldn't the buyers be up in arms? If you pay big bucks, I would imagine buyers would want a high quality building made with expensive materials.

All developers build to code. I'm sure the finishes may be nice, but I doubt the building materials or techniques inside are any different than your typical run of the mill condo in North York.

I suppose it's a combination of cheapness and design aesthetics (which I'll concede is subjective to a point). I appreciate that they didn't make the ground floor a long expanse of glass, but the material and layout they went with is probably worse. White precast screams off-the-shelf and doesn't make for an engaging street presence. If they wanted to aim higher they could have used stone (hell, even Aura did) or more frugally just continued the brick to ground with perhaps an inlay or two. I'm not an architect or even a creative type, but it doesn't take an expert to see that many things could have been done better.

In the end, what the buyer really seems to be paying for is just the location. The finishes - whether that be poorly chosen spandrel above or common precast at grade - are far from high quality.

Furthermore (as I mentioned a couple pages ago), the black windows at grade aren't an attractive feature for retail businesses to appeal to customers.

Every time I walk past this project I cannot FATHOM, for the life of me, why it was decided that dark-tinted glazing would be used for the retail windows. Foolish choice.

Back