Automation Gallery

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
More development for Queen West.

I guess those shacks on Dufferin just north and west of the underpass are history.

440 DUFFERIN ST
OPA / Rezoning 11 320041 STE 18 OZ Ward 18
- Tor & E.York Dec 2, 2011 --- --- --- ---
OPA and REZONING application for 3 new mixed use buildings with common underground parking garage. All buildings have ground and second floor commercial / industrial uses and remaining floors are residential. - 399 residential units - buildings range between 8 and 24 stories - 340 parking spaces - 2 levels below grade parking - 246 bicycle parking spaces.

Interesting. Until a few months ago, those shacks were covered in rusted siding, making them appear like a shantytown on the outskirts of Rio. A total embarrassment. Bring on the towers!

It was only a matter of time before these building bit the dust and no surprise to me for this type of development.

Now, is this another Streetcar development or someone new, since Streetcar is buying land by the handful these day for the area???

Too much parking and it needs to be reduce to 200 or less.

Now if Streetcar or another developer does the same thing for the Loblaws at Portland & Queen for this area, it will help the area like it is today with Price Choppers. Need more of those stores throughout the city regardless which chain it is.

Which lot is this exactly? Will the entire area be developed? The parcel extends all the way to Alma, and almost to Florence street in the north, it is huge.

I cannot wait for this area to be developed, as it does look like something from the third world. I hope that the architecture is interesting and that development brings something to Dufferin street in terms of retail or at least interesting presence. There is room for a parkette or something along those lines as well.

However, I thought the city wanted to maintain the industrial/mixed use designation of these lands. Will a total redevelopment that is residential be approved?

Last edited:
Which lot is this exactly? Will the entire area be developed? The parcel extends all the way to Alma, and almost to Florence street in the north, it is huge.

I cannot wait for this area to be developed, as it does look like something from the third world. I hope that the architecture is interesting and that development brings something to Dufferin street in terms of retail or at least interesting presence. There is room for a parkette or something along those lines as well.

However, I thought the city wanted to maintain the industrial/mixed use designation of these lands. Will a total redevelopment that is residential be approved?

Yeah, that whole Dufferin street stretch and rail corridor is going to be developed, wont be long before they develop the Beer store on Brock Ave. lands.
Here is some new development for the south side of Florence St.

51 FLORENCE ST
Site Plan Approval 11 323343 STE 18 SA Ward 18
- Tor & E.York Dec 8, 2011 --- --- --- ---
Site plan approval application to construct 20 townhouse development. Proposed dwellings are three storeys with lower level parking area. - See 11 226368 ZPR for previous PPR.

Interesting. Until a few months ago, those shacks were covered in rusted siding, making them appear like a shantytown on the outskirts of Rio. A total embarrassment. Bring on the towers!

I was thinking Caribbean Island but either way, it sure doesn't scream Toronto.

whitewhouse.jpg

By the way, great pic....truthfully once condos start here they should continue up to Bloor street, not much saving on the way.

^ True. It doesn't make sense to me that vast stretches of many of our arterial roads are lined with detached houses. Time to replace them with mid-rises.

^ True. It doesn't make sense to me that vast stretches of many of our arterial roads are lined with detached houses. Time to replace them with mid-rises.

yes but i think 24s is too much for the area. maybe 15s would be appropriate.

how tall are the 2 Gladstone projects by Streetcar?

The 11 Peel Ave proposal across the street is also quite large so mid-20 storeys seems to be the standard they're trying to reach for this area. The buildings are arranged so that the tallest is along the rail corridor, so height IMO really isn't an issue as long as the design is good quality.

As someone who lives in the area, it's discouraging to think that so many UT members demand unfettered gentrification.

Back