Marketed red brick and used grey brick.

I won't even comment on the window change.

carlaw-main1.jpg

And the purchaser has to suck it up and deal with it. :cool:

Marketed red brick and used grey brick.

I won't even comment on the window change.

And the purchaser has to suck it up and deal with it. :cool:

There were a lot of major elements that were changed that make me wonder if purchasers have any recourse.

Based on the renderings and seeing how the final product will turn out, the many things I noticed that are different are:
- Replacement of curtain wall
- Red brick to dark grey brick
- Access to the interior courtyard from Dundas st. (if you refer to the image above and where the car is exiting the building, that 'driveway' will not exist.
- Circular columns to square
- Precast applied to the corner section of the building do not have those horizontal window slits (refer to the image above, where the balconies are on the left)
- Amenity Floor. Form the rendering and from other images of the rooftop amenities, it shows a south-facing outdoor amenity area. However, this is not going to be happening and from the approved city documents for this project, the 11th floor is chopped in half, and therefore the outdoor amenity space actually will be a larger east-facing area.
- Townhomes. I don't even know what to say about this. They released two different versions of the townhomes, but what's being built looks NOTHING like either rendering! I'm also really confused how residents access the upper-part of the townhouse since the first two floors are one unit, and the top two are another unit.

ANYWAY, although there's a bunch of changes to the building it doesn't look bad in person. It's turning out to look like just another typical condo (e.g. grey brick and lots of spandrel) which is unfortunate since Dundas and Carlaw is such an important corner. I seriously thought that they would focus their attention on 'getting it right' with this project since the Crow's Theatre will be housed on the main floor...

Last edited:
I hope they are keeping the split amenity space as in the renderings. I liked the idea of the indoor TV space that can open up to the outdoor space. If they chnaged that too, I would be disappointed as the project as this point changed substantially.

too bad.

I hope they are keeping the split amenity space as in the renderings. I liked the idea of the indoor TV space that can open up to the outdoor space. If they chnaged that too, I would be disappointed as the project as this point changed substantially.

too bad.

I'm not sure what they are planning with the interior space, but here you can see the difference with the outdoor space:

The-taylor-the-carlaw-Site-Plan.jpg

Attachments

• The-taylor-the-carlaw-Site-Plan.jpg
    The-taylor-the-carlaw-Site-Plan.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 902
looks like we scarficed the indoor space for a larger outside patio. Not sure if I like this whole project anymore. So many main attractions to the building has been removed. shame on you streetcar.... im also assuming they removed the reflection pool they had in the courtyard...awful

Last edited:
I'm not going to make an opinion on the building until it's fully complete.

Regarding the 11th floor amenity space, I took a screenshot of how the 11th floor plate is designed now versus the original plan when the project was released a few years ago.

Here's a current screenshot of the 11th floor space:

15690407858_0e6b3753cb_b.jpg

And the previous iteration of the 11th floor space:

15690657080_0e8f1b4d5e_b.jpg

I'm not sure what they have in mind for the space, but it looks like both the interior and exterior areas will be substantially larger than the original design. It's unfortunate that Streetcar didn't update their amenity renderings when they updated the floor plate...

thanks for the updates. I assume they incorporated the additonal outdoor terraces you can buy seperately within the amenity space.

Why is it that more often than not, developers promise red bricks and switch to grey? Why it's always grey? Time to adjust our expectations for Riverside Square and Broadview hotel, since this developer doesn't inspire confidence.

Last edited:
What theatre? Is there a theatre going to open in this complex? Live theatre and how big? This area is pretty dead now but if development continues, I could see it becoming a lively hub.
Yes, a theatre space will be built for the Crowe's Theatre company. I believe it will also double as a farmer's market space too (which is great!)

As for how this is turning out in general, I'm disappointed. This is Streetcar's biggest and likely most closely watched development to date (until Riverside Square was announced) so I was hoping for them to up the ante a bit. Nonetheless, as others have noted, I'm already seeing disappointing changes and some unfortunate cheapening. I'm sure it will be "fine," but it could have been so much more.

Ignoring the renderings; This is one of the best low rise developments I've seen in recent years, I agree red brick would have introduced a nice touch of colour but honestly the use of grey / black / white here is extremely well executed ! I wish the canary district at in the west donlands more closely resembled this building.

Further info on the theatre:

Crow’s will house three spectacular venues for cultural and neighbourhood programming and events: a Multi-Configurational Theatre (200-seat); a Studio Space for rehearsals, intimate performances, and community programming; and a Gallery Bar and Café. The facility will launch with a world premiere that will be showcased as one of the signature pieces of the Pan/ParaPan Am Games in 2015.

Theatre space

Crows_Theatre_Gallery.jpg

source: dtah.com

Exterior

Crows_ExteriorView-Night-Revised_Thum.jpg

Source: dtah.com

Attachments

• Crows_Theatre_Gallery.jpg
    Crows_Theatre_Gallery.jpg
    404.6 KB · Views: 2,153
  • Crows_ExteriorView-Night-Revised_Thum.jpg
    Crows_ExteriorView-Night-Revised_Thum.jpg