It's an orgy of three-sided boxes. I'm not sure I understand the relationship of the top half to the bottom (if one exists in the first place)...

For a building of similar size Sixty Colborne has a similar, but more refined, aesthetic in terms of relationship with bottom to top of the building.

Maybe I am overestimating here, but I think this kind of design makes sense when looking at the growth of urban developments that incorporate a heritage building into a larger development. That trend has made its way into new builds.

Funny, even with your caveat (refined), I don't see many similarities here. Sixty Colborne puts a bit more flair into the podium but restrains itself entirely in the upper portions. College Condo combines a primary-colour-infused warehouse aesthetic on the lower half with a mid-2000s, Freed-on-King-West, 3-sided-box-o-rama upper.

Here it is today (I shot it from this angle because I don't have to get out of bed to do it)
FullSizeRender (14).jpg

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (14).jpg
    FullSizeRender (14).jpg
    919.2 KB · Views: 1,485
Uh...I wonder when that happened - I bike along there in the mornings on my way to work...

When I walked by around 5:30, there was a fire truck and police on-site, hopefully no one was walking underneath when it came down. Extremely windy in the area at that time.

Not the best cell phone photo:

20160229_172751.jpg

Attachments

• 20160229_172751.jpg
    20160229_172751.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,238
Yikes. Brought down by high winds. No injuries were reported. (It would have been incredibly scary to be under there when it was collapsing, so luckily no-one was under there.)

A lot of the wind probably from the condo. From there to the CAMH building past Spadina is becoming a brutal wind tunnel...

Second row of balconies receiving the supports for the colored glass.
Hopeful Tribute paints the undersides of the concrete overhangs

*I think the photo uploader at the top of the page is broken btw or it's a Tim Cook issue

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 941
Last edited by a moderator:
Yikes--very scary. Could have ended up far worse. I often wonder when I walk under hoarding...

It's just poles and plywood, I was far more concerned when that wall toppled during demolition for that building on Yonge. Makes you wonder how many near misses there are with all the construction happening right now.

From yesterday: (please forgive the reflective haze in the first image)

DSC00343.jpg
DSC00352.jpg

Attachments

• DSC00343.jpg
    DSC00343.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 804
  • DSC00352.jpg
    DSC00352.jpg
    453.8 KB · Views: 819

Back