I don't see any difficulty. Working yesterday.

IMG_9345.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9345.JPG
    IMG_9345.JPG
    225 KB · Views: 1,715
Construction would encounters site specific challenges.

Here, adjacent properties have underground parking garages so they’ll have to be careful their shoring doesn’t cause damage. A block south is the remnants of Wilket Creek (Ellie-Condo site) so they *might* come across higher-water level here (issue at Concord ParkPlace) or even underground rivers (issue for Bazis EmeraldPark but not Tridel HullmarkCentre across the street - even though old photo shows marsh at HullmarkCentre site). There’s also worrying about how far down they could dig before coming across bedrock. Any of these challenges would slow down construction, that’s why they usually take drill samples prior to minimize surprises.

Not sure if there is an FAQ for all the questions I'm about to ask, but I definitely don't see the answers in this thread or anywhere else I've seen. The dig at this NYCC site looks very different from any downtown site I've seen. This looks like clay all the way down (someone mentioned waterline concerns in this thread). All the digs near lake Ontario that I am familiar with look like they hit bedrock very quickly and then jackhammer their way down. What are engineering challenges with these varying conditions? Is one more expensive to dig out than the other? Is one more expensive to then create basement levels around than the other? Sorry if these are totally noob questions to ask, but after all I am one.

Just like everyone was once a baby,.... everyone here start off as a noob,...

Of course jackhammering through bedrock would be tougher and expensive than digging through clay,... but biggest challenge is dealing with water.

Toronto is a City of Valleys,.. with rivers, creeks, tributaries,.... both at ground level and underground! A number of previous rivers have been buried,... including Wilket Creek which naturally runs nearby - from Edithvale to Bayview & YorkMills is buried into storm tunnel
https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...-35s-sorbara-wallman-architects.13050/page-10
Map here shows a segment of Wilket Creek Storm Tunnel that's been diverted from Hounslow Ave down Beecroft Ave then across ParkHomes/Empress to Doris
http://www.vanishingpoint.ca/wilket-creek-storm-trunk-sewer

Wilket Creek naturally flow through Ellie Condo site (a block south of here),.... that site is now a bunch of dirt hills as they're likely dealing with underground water issue before construction. Directly across Yonge Street, Majestic Condo (northeast corner of Yonge & Parkview) took a year longer in construction dealing with underground water issues.

South of Sheppard, another underground creek hits the north side of EmeraldPark; and that structure have an underground system that collects the water into an underground water reservoir (10feet wide, 30-40 feet deep) directly in front of their entire Yonge Street frontage stores,.... as long as their filtering system works, the water will then drain into the City storm system - otherwise it gets trucked out to be filtered off-site. Experience flooding issues in underground parking lot due to bad construction.

Directly across Yonge Street, Tridel Hullmark Centre didn't have underground water issue to deal with,... which surprise me, since prior to the old plaza that was there, there used to be a natural marshland/pond there.

At Concord-Adex's Park Place, the land is relatively flat but there's high water level,.... takes longer for underground construction and it's more expensive,.... thus, the underground parking spaces there are about $80K,.... like downtown along harbourfront!

Prior to construction, they test core sample and water level to try to figure out what they're dealing with,....

Back