Completely agree with you, I guess the little guy is being erased right off he map, how can they compete against corporations with tens of millions of dollars, very sad indeed. Love the old pics, a throw back to a time when all of today's problems weren't a consideration.

I'm curious, what's with the burlap sacks?

Got me. I'm more curious as to who would bring their child to a protest against adult films, presuming it's a protest. I remember the scandal of "Snuff" at the Cinema 2000 which only helped to generate more business, it played for like a year there.

Just received the community consultation notice. St. Joseph College School, 74 Wellesley West. Nov. 8. Open house - 6:30, meeting 7-9.

"FILTHIEST SHOW in TOWN"

ha ha

Ah...the good ole pre-internet days of Yonge Street.

That's the old Odeon Coronet (formally the Savoy cinema) on the N/E corner of Yonge & Gerrard, it was a really cool cinema with a decent sized balcony. It became the Coronet Jewelery Exchange in about the mid 80's. It was a cool looking building inside and out until it was trashed when converted to retail.

Seems like this is going to the OMB

CONDOMINIUM APARTMENT BLDG, RETAIL Proj: 9165059-4
Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON PREPARING PLANS

593 Yonge St, M4Y 1Z4

$50,000,000 est
Note: Project has been appealed to the Ontario Municipal Board. A hearing has not yet been scheduled. Further update early spring 2014.
Project: construction of a 49-storey condominium apartment building containing 514 residential units.
Scope: 49 storeys; 514 units
Development: New
Category: Apartment bldgs; Retail, wholesale services

from....http://www.dailycommercialnews.com/...140adebd9f22&projectid=9165059&region=ontario

Haven't been following this thread too much but are they planning on taking down that lovely brick corner building in the OMB appeal?

I would flip my sh** if that was allowed.

Wow, lots of changes. This could turn out rather well.

That 75 degree angular plane is creating an interesting cascading effect to the building. Also interesting to see the Bar Volo building saved as a "character building". I haven't seen that before and it seems specific to the North Yonge design guidelines.

It's also nice to ensure wider sidewalks, pedestrian canopy, a new plaza on the north end of the site across from the Masonic Building, and more retail spaces along Yonge to match the character of the street. All good things.

Come to think of it - Bay Street is pure aA land; Yonge is becoming the playground of HP (1 Bloor East, 5ive, Massey, 1 Yonge). Hard to properly visualize how the project will look with all the architectural details - this is definitely breaking the box mould.

AoD

Back