In this case, many believe this site easily warrants 10-20 more storeys if the developer can manage it. If not, then they should build what economics allow. Wanting to raise building quality standards or dictate such things as whether a greater proportion of units must be multi-bedroom is another issue which is perfectly legitimate for the City to wade into. The point is we should be fair and not limit the number of citizens who have the opportunity to live downtown.

There are very, very good reasons to limit the pace at which downtown densify - limited infrastructure (be it municipal or, as we've recently found out health infrastructure, which is a provincial jurisdiction). Given the availability of housing (particularly condos) in the core, and the amount of projects in the pipeline, the suggestion that somehow limiting the density of developments (and let's not portray this as the city demanding a 2s strip or an 8s condo be built on the site) equates to others not being able to live in the core is a red herring. As to the matter of "fairness" - well, the purchaser of the property knows full well that not all sites are equal, and hence caveat emptor. Plus there is also the issue of fairness for the existing residents to consider - property rights is not the only measure of what's "fair".

AoD

Last edited:
There are very, very good reasons to limit the pace at which downtown densify - limited infrastructure (be it municipal or, as we've recently found out health infrastructure, which is a provincial jurisdiction). Given the availability of housing (particularly condos) in the core, and the amount of projects in the pipeline, the suggestion that somehow limiting the density of developments (and let's not portray this as the city demanding a 2s strip or an 8s condo be built on the site) equates to others not being able to live in the core is a red herring. As to the matter of "fairness" - well, the purchaser of the property knows full well that not all sites are equal, and hence caveat emptor. Plus there is also the issue of fairness for the existing residents to consider - property rights is not the only measure of what's "fair".

AoD

+1 I would also emphasize the rights of existing residents. A lot of people seem to imagine that Toronto exists as a blank slate with no one there when the reality is that people are often forced out of intensifying neighbourhoods by rising rents and property values. Is the right to live in the city only for those who can afford to live in glass towers in the sky or do those who already live here have a right to continue living in the city too?

The city had the 70 degree vertical plane instituted here through the North Yonge planning district (I can't remember the exact name) and this is why the building has its shape. If the developer is looking for more height, they are going to have to get more land east of their site. But the park is there. So this is the max that they can do here. The could go to the OMB and be the first to try to bust that by-law I suppose.

The city had the 70 degree vertical plane instituted here through the North Yonge planning district (I can't remember the exact name) and this is why the building has its shape. If the developer is looking for more height, they are going to have to get more land east of their site. But the park is there. So this is the max that they can do here. The could go to the OMB and be the first to try to bust that by-law I suppose.

I don't believe that the angular plane "guidelines" have been integrated into the Zoning By-law, which means they would be treated with less significance in an OMB hearing.

http://www1.toronto.ca/city_of_toro.../pdf/DowntownTallBuildingVisionGuidelines.pdf

+1 I would also emphasize the rights of existing residents. A lot of people seem to imagine that Toronto exists as a blank slate with no one there when the reality is that people are often forced out of intensifying neighbourhoods by rising rents and property values. Is the right to live in the city only for those who can afford to live in glass towers in the sky or do those who already live here have a right to continue living in the city too?

Except nobody is losing any "rights". Nobody has a "right" to maintain anything in a capitalist system. The only way around it is to get into some kind of social program that will subsidize you. And that is the job of the government...not the private sector.

On that subject, it is not the job of the government to limit development because it overloads the infrastructure...it's the job if the government to build that infrastructure to meet the demands of development. But here in Toronto, we loath to invest in infrastructure, because it means you might have to raise some taxes. We prefer to wait until things are in crisis mode where it cannot be ignored.

Except nobody is losing any "rights". Nobody has a "right" to maintain anything in a capitalist system. The only way around it is to get into some kind of social program that will subsidize you. And that is the job of the government...not the private sector.

On that subject, it is not the job of the government to limit development because it overloads the infrastructure...it's the job if the government to build that infrastructure to meet the demands of development. But here in Toronto, we loath to invest in infrastructure, because it means you might have to raise some taxes. We prefer to wait until things are in crisis mode where it cannot be ignored.

I was merely answering Uptowner using his own terminology. He seems to believe there's a right to the city, so I decided to discuss rights to the city. If people who have the means to buy expensive condos have a right to live downtown and dictate development patterns, why do the poor not? They don't have this right because capital and wealth dictate who has and doesn't have rights in this city. And hey, if you're fine with the idea of the average person being priced out of the market into suburban wastelands, so be it. Doesn't make it right.

If people who have the means to buy expensive condos have a right to live downtown and dictate development patterns, why do the poor not? They don't have this right because capital and wealth dictate who has and doesn't have rights in this city..

But you keep begging the question...what "rights" are you referring to?

You have a right to the basic social safety net provided by the government (or private charities), and "rights" as provided in the Charter. Nobody has a "right" to a certain position within the capitalist game....you take your chances....win or lose.

But you keep begging the question...what "rights" are you referring to?

You have a right to the basic social safety net provided by the government (or private charities), and "rights" as provided in the Charter. Nobody has a "right" to a certain position within the capitalist game....you take your chances....win or lose.

And the only rights I'm referring to are the ones Uptowner was referring to. That is, that people have a right to live in the city and the city should not disabuse people of that right by rejecting developers' proposed building heights and allow whatever the developers want. If there's a right for the middle class yuppies who buy these units, then there's a right to live in the city for the poor and marginal they price out of the market. As for capitalism as a whole, it's far too simplistic to just say everyone has an equal chance. But unless we're going to make a whole new thread on this in another subforum, I honestly don't have a simple answer for you as to what rights people should have. But if Uptowner is going to whine about building height restrictions, he best be sure to whine about the people who the condos price out too.

And the only rights I'm referring to are the ones Uptowner was referring to. That is, that people have a right to live in the city and the city should not disabuse people of that right by rejecting developers' proposed building heights and allow whatever the developers want. If there's a right for the middle class yuppies who buy these units, then there's a right to live in the city for the poor and marginal they price out of the market. As for capitalism as a whole, it's far too simplistic to just say everyone has an equal chance. But unless we're going to make a whole new thread on this in another subforum, I honestly don't have a simple answer for you as to what rights people should have. But if Uptowner is going to whine about building height restrictions, he best be sure to whine about the people who the condos price out too.

Nobody is taking away anybody's "right" to live in the city....you have the freedom to live anywhere you like. Whether the complicated ongoing circumstances make it easier or harder for you is irrelevant.

And who said everyone gets an equal chance in capitalism? The fun part of capitalism is that it isn't a level playing field. You're playing a game whether you like it or not.

Nobody is taking away anybody's "right" to live in the city....you have the freedom to live anywhere you like. Whether the complicated ongoing circumstances make it easier or harder for you is irrelevant.

And who said everyone gets an equal chance in capitalism? The fun part of capitalism is that it isn't a level playing field. You're playing a game whether you like it or not.

I don't disagree with how you see things (except for the freedom to live anywhere, you can't honestly tell me someone making less than $15k a year can afford to live in downtown, that's not freedom to live anywhere), merely with whether it is a problem or not. You say, "Capitalism is freedom." All I'm doing is adding, "...to starve" to that. My entire point until now has been to say that if people have a right to live in the city that dictates ignoring planning policy and building however many buildings and however tall developers want them, then people also have a right to where they currently live too. If there isn't a right to the city and poor people can be shoveled out of Dundas and Sherbourne for new, yuppie residents, then conversely the developers and their yuppie customers need to appreciate that they have no right to the city either and that a controlling of supply through urban planning and policy is just as fair as expecting poor people to leave their neighbourhood when rents rise. I see a problem with this, that's all.

I agree that gentrification is harmful in that it makes it hard for poorer people to live downtown and we should try to minimize this effect as much as possible, but this raises my eternal conundrum with gentrification discourse: Cities need to change sometimes, especially when the buildings in areas (such as much of Toronto) are way too short, and building more densely will create more energy-efficient, walkable, and public-transit-conducive neighbourhoods. So how does an area become taller without becoming more expensive to live in, since making changes to a neighbourhood usually makes it newer and better, which means more expensive?

And, for that matter, can anything in a city improve without becoming more inaccessible? It seems that all urban improvement inadvertently makes areas more expensive. Like, should we avoid building new transit lines because they'll make areas more desirable to live in and thus more expensive?

I think about this a lot since I hugely value both the class-accessibility of urban places and progressive urban planning/design/architecture features, and it seems they often completely counter each other.

I agree that gentrification is harmful in that it makes it hard for poorer people to live downtown and we should try to minimize this effect as much as possible, but this raises my eternal conundrum with gentrification discourse: Cities need to change sometimes, especially when the buildings in areas (such as much of Toronto) are way too short, and building more densely will create more energy-efficient, walkable, and public-transit-conducive neighbourhoods. So how does an area become taller without becoming more expensive to live in, since making changes to a neighbourhood usually makes it newer and better, which means more expensive?

And, for that matter, can anything in a city improve without becoming more inaccessible? It seems that all urban improvement inadvertently makes areas more expensive. Like, should we avoid building new transit lines because they'll make areas more desirable to live in and thus more expensive?

I think about this a lot since I hugely value both the class-accessibility of urban places and progressive urban planning/design/architecture features, and it seems they often completely counter each other.

You and me both. Personally I feel a requirement to have a certain amount of social housing in each development (similar to the 10% 3br units rule) would be a good start in ensuring that condofication doesn't also mean homogenization either. Of course, the fact that TCHC doesn't even have the money to repair its extant stock means this probably isn't happening any time soon. The rebuilds of Regent and Alexandra Park, as well as Lawrence Heights, seem to be a good way to intensify without removing lower income households. I know there are issues around Regent Park but Regent Park was also the testing ground and a good deal of what they learned there was passed on to the future redevelopments.

Exactly; requiring that a certain portion of new residential units that are constructed be designated for TCHC housing seems the best way of improving the urban design of areas while retaining economic heterogeneity, and the Regent Park and Alexandra Park approaches, as well. I hope more of this happens.

There are very, very good reasons to limit the pace at which downtown densify - limited infrastructure ...
AoD
As usual I agree with most of what you have to say. I would note freshcutgtrass’s post and say we shouldn’t let any level of government off the hook if they are failing to invest as they should.

As to the matter of "fairness" - well, the purchaser of the property knows full well that not all sites are equal, and hence caveat emptor.
AoD

I was merely answering Uptowner using his own terminology.
He seems to believe there's a right to the city, so I decided to discuss rights to the city.
I am sorry but I did try to understand and I have no idea what you mean.
And the only rights I'm referring to are the ones Uptowner was referring to...
I honestly don't have a simple answer for you as to what rights people should have. But if Uptowner is going to whine about building height restrictions, he best be sure to whine about the people who the condos price out too.

This seems to have been a matter of unclarity for a couple of people and I think I need to take most or all of the blame for that. I wasn’t talking about fairness for developers. I wasn’t talking about ‘rights’ for anybody. In fact I never mentioned the word “rightâ€. I want to plant that flag very clearly where everyone can see it. I am not defending either of those propositions. I did say the opportunity to live downtown should be afforded to as many people as possible.

Further, I meant that if we limit the number of places to live downtown rents in market driven properties will necessarily rise at a rate higher than any less desirable part of the city. Does this mean that building at our current pace will prevent an increased relative rise? No, clearly it has not. What I am considering are differing outcomes where, holding everything else constant with respect to the demographic pressures downtown faces as a high demand area, we build various numbers of units downtown.

Scenario 1: We build whatever the projected number of units is over the next five years downtown.

Scenario 2: We build 50% more than the current projected number of units downtown.

Scenario 3: We build 50% less than the number of units now being projected.

*Please note these are hypothetical situations I am considering and key to his thought experiment is the idea of holding everything else with respect to demographic pressures on downtown as a relatively desirable place to live constant. *

Is there any doubt that scenario 3 would result in higher average rents in market rate properties in the downtown area than scenario number 2? I feel it would be patronizing to explain why scenario 3 would result in higher prices and fewer people having the opportunity (not the right) to live downtown than would scenario 2. Now all you need to do is slide along the spectrum of possible outcomes to realize different numbers of units built have different consequences. Put more generally, actions have consequences and I think there is still room to optimize consequences.

Also, as I said before this whole avenue of discussion was started down, the question of investing in and mandating subsidized housing is an entirely different matter. And, if you accept that there is an optimal ratio and you think we need far more subsidized housing you should actually be arguing for more market rate units downtown so we can build more subsidized housing while maintaining desirable ratios.

I hope that helps clear up what I meant. I have tried to be more clear though when people quote one as using words such as “rights†when one clearly did not it has hard to know if I can rightfully shoulder all of the blame for the misunderstanding. As always, I have tried not to be condescending or in any other way rude.

Back