News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

S

shawnmicallef

This seems to be the place to post Festival of Architecture and Design events - [murmur] and Spacing are throwing our own event with ERA Architects on the 17th of May. Toronto's Poet Laureate, Pier Giorgio Di Cicco, will be speaking about what makes a beautiful city (he's also writing for our next issue). If you haven't heard him speak on Toronto you will be in awe - I am. [murmur] will also be announcing our next project along Spadina as part of the City's recent "Culture Capital" designation. The mayor will probable stop by as well. It's a fundraiser for our two projects.

The full invite is here for time/direction/details etc:

www.torontothegood.org/

I'd be honoured if some Urban Toronto folk came by. We'll also be projecting our photobloggers work on the walls of the Fermentation Cellar (the neatest room in the city I think) as well as Rani's timelapses (CN Tower etc.). Mill Street has donated beer, so there will be free drink, as well as food early on. And Will Monroe will be DJing (of Vazaleen et al). We're printing out a massive wall sized map of the city and getting people to mark where they work, where they live and where they think the heart of the city is - and we'll have archival photos of various Toronto intersection for people to guess at the location.

Please forward the invite to your people - it should be fun.

tor-thegood-homepage.jpg

You know, that invite has the makings of an excellent Toronto marketing campaign.

I agree SD2. I can see a "Love, Toronto" campaigne where Toronto writes to possible tourists, promoting itself as a personal identity. They could be old fashioned love notes to an anonymous lover. Brilliant.
shawn - who came up with the ad for your event?

Very cool. Is this a show up and pay event, or do you reserve in advance?

A> Nope, just show up and pay. The cellar holds 700 people - so it should be ok.

GoE+SD2> I wrote the text & thought it might be nice to be invited by the city itself. M@B designed it. Sometimes I think of Toronto as a person. It's certainly a body.

It's easy to come up with campaigns like this when you're not sitting around a boardroom table - no glossy pictures of the smiling multiculture to get in the way. If there was a way to tap into all the grassroots things people do in this city that are a direct result of their love of it - without it being filtered through some marketing-speak-machine - the real Toronto would shine and I think no one would ever say "what is Toronto" ever again, not even the Buick drivers in Bakersfield.

That is pretty good. Finally something other than the usual 'diversity' crap.

Ya. The diversity is a given - it's now in our basic civic ontology - so there's no need to harp on it all the time. The diversity isn't the point, it's what all those people are doing that's interesting.

GoE+SD2> I wrote the text & thought it might be nice to be invited by the city itself. M@B designed it. Sometimes I think of Toronto as a person. It's certainly a body.

It's easy to come up with campaigns like this when you're not sitting around a boardroom table - no glossy pictures of the smiling multiculture to get in the way. If there was a way to tap into all the grassroots things people do in this city that are a direct result of their love of it - without it being filtered through some marketing-speak-machine - the real Toronto would shine and I think no one would ever say "what is Toronto" ever again, not even the Buick drivers in Bakersfield.

Well, you did a great job. I also agree, it's much easier to come up with creative ideas when you just let your mind wander.

This campaign would fit perfectly with Toronto...each ad could be a neighbourhood talking to you. It would highlight our neighbourhoods, unique attributes and diversity all in one shot, without obviously trumping diversity.

If you seriously consider proposing a campaign like this and need any help, let me know...I'd love to contribute.

I believe this is the same week or even day the Toronto Branding Project will be releasing its new campaign.

Shawn, I would have loved to attend, unfortunately I'll be out of the country that week. All the best to a successful event!

Are you going to the Bomb the Suburbs event on Thursday at Harbourfront by any chance?

Louroz

What's this Bomb the Suburbs event? Maybe I'll check it out. Louroz, take cover! :p

Won't be at bomb the suburbs - flying to Montreal to talk (largely about Toronto and the idea of Space and Place) at a conference at the SAT.

SD2> I was talking to somebody who went to the SXSW music conference/festival in Austin recently - he said Manchester had a huge display, done really well, talking about that city's music scene. Toronto, and Canada's, was very boring and old school brochure sort of thing. We have the best scene in the world maybe, but the people in charge of telling everybody else screw it up.

ganjavih,

Bomb the Suburbs
May 5, 7:00PM

William "Upski" Wimsatt (League of Pissed Off Voters) waxes on race, activism, hip hop and philanthropy.

Harbourfront Centre - Brigantine Room
Tickets: $10 $5/students & seniors

Shawn, best of luck with the speaking engagement in Montreal!

Don't get me started on Toronto and Canada's worldwide promotions. However, glad to hear the Star's fixer taking on Disney's Canada film at Epcot.

A friend of mine phoned me from England recently and said he saw an Air Canada ad with Dion singing away.

Louroz

SD2> I was talking to somebody who went to the SXSW music conference/festival in Austin recently - he said Manchester had a huge display, done really well, talking about that city's music scene. Toronto, and Canada's, was very boring and old school brochure sort of thing. We have the best scene in the world maybe, but the people in charge of telling everybody else screw it up.

That's unfortunate. It seems representative of Toronto's promotional efforts in general. The people in charge of such things all too often seem to hand the job over to an old buddy that is totally out of touch with the city. Hopefully that's not the case with the city's soon to be announced marketing initiative.

Jonathan,

Called and left you a message on your voicemail. I won't be able to go tonight. But I'm off to Waterloo for the weekend. When are you leaving for Ottawa?

Louroz

Back