A little off topic, but isn't KW Tam the best new city councillor we've had since, I don't know, David Crombie? If we still had the old city I'm convinced she would be mayor some day. *sigh*

Yes! So far, so good (well, great).

What's there now. That yellow brick house is supposed to be moved up to the property line. The red brick structure to it's left will be demolished.

gloucjly7.jpg

So how are they moving those houses that contain Fly? Physically moving them? Or tear-down and re-build a la Bay-Adelaide?

I'll assume a rebuild--what's "of interest" is likely skin deep, anyway.

I also assume the beige pizza parlour building will be a rebuild. i've been inside that place and it looks like it's been renovated six times over throughout the years. u kind of get the feeling that it will topple if they attept to move it intact.

i don't understand why theyre even preserving this one anyway when the focal point is the masonic red brick building. though to be honest the rendering does look nice with both buildings preserved so it can't hurt to keep the second one. tho i wouldn't be too fussed if they knocked it down and put some nice retail with a patio looking on to the park there instead.

Yes! So far, so good (well, great).

From Xtra (in part): Local councilor Kristyn Wong-Tam says she’s concerned about the loss of two of the neighbourhood’s queer hangouts.

“I know there’s some iconic businesses that the community cherishes that will be lost or have to move if the zoning goes ahead,” she says. “It’s really important to recognize that the key to any successful business environment is diversity.”

Wong-Tam says that if the clubs are forced to move that she will help them obtain new liquor permits at their new locations.

“I’m not closed to having nightclubs in the neighbourhood,” she says. “You cannot have a vibrant gay village without a vibrant nightlife. We are social creatures we love to go out and we’re very good at doing so."

Can this woman do no wrong?

This development shows real enthusiasm towards city building with passion. It builds upon past achievements like Gloucester Mews, preserves history that enriches the city, and adds a high-quality new building with high-density. It's a good standard and commendable.

greenleaf said:
I think some kind of attempt to take a feature from the original building and incorporate a new version of it into the design could have made this one more interesting (for example, a new modern replication of the small rooftop element on the corner of the mews on the roof of this one).

That's a great idea, but it's regrettably one of those interesting Postmodern ideas in architecture that seems to have been almost completely forgotten by neo-Modernists.

i don't understand why theyre even preserving this one anyway when the focal point is the masonic red brick building. though to be honest the rendering does look nice with both buildings preserved so it can't hurt to keep the second one. tho i wouldn't be too fussed if they knocked it down and put some nice retail with a patio looking on to the park there instead.

The commercial building on Yonge is the standout heritage landmark, but to preserve the houses in some form is to maintain that residential Victorian layer of history even as the modern character of the area has changed. To be able to see those layers of history in a streetscape--even if they weren't originally the most exciting--and see how it changed over time makes it so much more interesting. It gives the impression that the area has a long and varied past and tells a story to anyone who happens to see them, no matter where they're from.

It's hard to tell from the renderings, but I'm wondering if the new high-rise tower is set back to preserve the vista of Gloucester Mews' corner tower against open sky. It's not an iconic vista, but care was taken to align the corner tower with the centre of Irwin Avenue and it makes an impact. The new tower itself may block views of those cheap 1970s rental towers in the background, which would be a positive improvement overall provided some thought was put into the positioning of the new tower relative to the heritage tower.

vista of Gloucester Mews' corner tower[/URL] against open sky. It's not an iconic vista, but care was taken to align the corner tower with the centre of Irwin Avenue and it makes an impact. The new tower itself may block views of those cheap 1970s rental towers in the background, which would be a positive improvement overall provided some thought was put into the positioning of the new tower relative to the heritage tower.

Lets hope they keep vista preservation to NPS and Queens Park.. the rest is water under the bridge.

Last edited:
Cheap rentals

The new tower itself may block views of those cheap 1970s rental towers in the background, which would be a positive improvement overall provided some thought was put into the positioning of the new tower relative to the heritage tower.

FYI, not both of those, "cheap 1970's" are rental...30 Gloucester is a condo.

From Xtra (in part): Local councilor Kristyn Wong-Tam says she’s concerned about the loss of two of the neighbourhood’s queer hangouts.

“I know there’s some iconic businesses that the community cherishes that will be lost or have to move if the zoning goes ahead,” she says. “It’s really important to recognize that the key to any successful business environment is diversity.”

Wong-Tam says that if the clubs are forced to move that she will help them obtain new liquor permits at their new locations.

“I’m not closed to having nightclubs in the neighbourhood,” she says. “You cannot have a vibrant gay village without a vibrant nightlife. We are social creatures we love to go out and we’re very good at doing so."

Can this woman do no wrong?

2014 - TO's first visible minority gay (female) mayor ! ? ! ? !

Last edited:

Back