I mean I believe that rendering dates from 2006 or so, so you aren't too far off..
Of course, the core sampling could very well be for the Ontario Line - they are sampling all around that area so I frankly think that's more likely.

EDIT. Having walked around the area I now think this drilling is NOT for Ontario Line as there are two different drilling companies. The Metropolitan MAY be stirring!

Last edited:
Core samples being drilled today.
View attachment 280319

I so want this site to be parkland.

Building behind the church still seems atrocious, especially if it's anything near as bad as the previous proposal here.

This makes such sense as parkspace.

I did not expect someone else would have already updated this haha. @brianyyz you clearly live somewhere directly above me! They're over in this corner now.

PXL_20201102_160510026.jpg

Of course, the core sampling could very well be for the Ontario Line - they are sampling all around that area so I frankly think that's more likely
I thought that may have been a possibility, but it is not the same company. The core sampling firm doing work on the Ontario Line is parked behind our building, and this is not them. As well, they are working near Shuter St, and all the Ontario line coring has been right along Queen around here.

I thought that may have been a possibility, but it is not the same company. The core sampling firm doing work on the Ontario Line is parked behind our building, and this is not them. As well, they are working near Shuter St, and all the Ontario line coring has been right along Queen around here.
Yes, I just walked around the area and was about to post exactly the same thing! Maybe the Metropolitan is being 'raised from the grave'!

I so want this site to be parkland.

Building behind the church still seems atrocious, especially if it's anything near as bad as the previous proposal here.

This makes such sense as parkspace.
Another CentreCourt project? Let the speculation begin. I agree this should be parkland.
Anyone wanting a park here should send be emailing Councillor Wong-Tam's office. There is money in the kitty to buy land for parks, they have to use it somewhere.
Send to councillor_wongtam@toronto.ca

Anyone wanting a park here should send be emailing Councillor Wong-Tam's office. There is money in the kitty to buy land for parks, they have to use it somewhere.

I tried to get it on the list during T.O. Core.

I had many conversations w/Staff then.

But not a bad idea to follow-up.

Do they have ~$100m + in there? The Greywood Esso station a block north was $73m and this parcel - while height restricted - is about twice as large.

Do they have ~$100m + in there? The Greywood Esso station a block north was $73m and this parcel - while height restricted - is about twice as large.

The overall parkland aquisition reserve is sitting in/around ~450M.

In a routine year the City will spend something like 100M of that but replace it with new funds.

I presume the hope is to mark a good deal of that to Rail Deck; but in theory there is money available.

On top of that there may be some section 37 money which could be put to the purpose.

Is there enough there? If the political will is there, then yes.

I always felt the fact a development didn't get off the ground here, so to speak, meant a better potential purchase price.

Albeit, that's relative to a very hot market, and rising prices, even if true.

Last edited:
Recall the City already bought 229 Richmond earlier this year for $100m. I doubt they'll be eager to do that again so soon. That said, the 229 acquisition was first identified 4-5 years ago (https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/cc/bgrd/backgroundfile-94954.pdf) so if the City were to proceed here, it could be another half decade before they could / would actually close on it.

Recall the City already bought 229 Richmond earlier this year for $100m. I doubt they'll be eager to do that again so soon. That said, the 229 acquisition was first identified 4-5 years ago (https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/cc/bgrd/backgroundfile-94954.pdf) so if the City were to proceed here, it could be another half decade before they could / would actually close on it.

Albeit as a much lower price point; I'm aware of a parkland acquisition done by by the City in mere weeks.

The then Councillor became aware the house was on the market and wanted it bought for parks, flagged the issue; and the City went out and got it on the open market.

Impressively they had the house in weeks and it was demolished and backfilled within months.

Though it took another few years for them to actually 'improve' the space.

There's no way the politics are there to spend $100 million on this. It ain't happening.

Last edited:
There's no way the politics are there to spend $100 million on this. It ain't happening.
It's still worth writing to City Councillors when you see spots where you want a park. They either need to be reminded of community interest in green space (if they're not already convinced) or they can use your interest as evidence if they already do have a plan of some kind. The letter may not result in getting the exact spot you're indicating eventually dedicated as parkland for the city, but it should help get some dedicated somewhere in the area someday, and the letter could also emphasize the importance of getting spaces that highlight high quality architecture (like the back of the church here) that dedicating this space could afford. Any reasonable chance of letting a City Councillor know that their constituents care about architecture cannot hurt the way they plan for the future.

Back