Empire Communities are constructing a 12 storey condominium...
is it not a 17 storey building?

/\ A real winner of a post there. All indications including city documents and Empire's website still indicate 17 stories. Perhaps you could clarify your post a little?

The wrong number of floors - 12 - is listed in the Lane and Sidewalk Closure notice that DSC posted at the end of the previous page.

The city document states that "Empire Communities are constructing a 12-storey condominium building at 101 Sherbourne Street...."

So that is what the poster meant.... In your post you said that "all indications including city documents and Empire's website still indicate 17 stories." That of course is not correct at all. A real winner of a post there, I agree!

/\ A real winner of a post there. All indications including city documents and Empire's website still indicate 17 stories. Perhaps you could clarify your post a little?

The city document states that "Empire Communities are constructing a 12-storey condominium building at 101 Sherbourne Street...."

So that is what the poster meant.... In your post you said that "all indications including city documents and Empire's website still indicate 17 stories." That of course is not correct at all. A real winner of a post there, I agree!

Well if we're going to play the semantics game then you too are only half right. Thought that document does list the height at 12 floors, Empire's website has had the building listed at 17s since 2005-6 or so. But this is a ridiculous argument to be having, so let's just say that we're both winners and leave it at that.

So for the last 3 weeks they have been installing 55' steel beams into the ground around the perimeter. Is this what they do during construction before digging out the parking garage? I believe that there is going to be a 4 storey underground parking garage at this building.

The steel will be used to hold up the wood that will encircle the entire site. This will keep the surrounding area from collapsing into the pit as they dig.
I was surprised to look in the hole with the steel I beam and see concrete. If timbers are placed between the steel to provide shoring how do they remove the concrete or alternately why place concrete that has to be removed?

The concrete is only near the top though sometimes they just use concrete all the way down. They do this if there's water. Considering Taddle Creek went through this site I wonder if they'll have any problems.

Four massive gas tanks have been pulled out. There's a heavy smell of gasoline when you walk by. And the pond that's formed where the tanks were looks quite toxic.

The shoring is usually a permanent feature. It's not cost effective to recycle it once the builing is built

Back