However, I would never live at that intersection no matter how nice the project.

59 Developments are invested into Queen Street along that stetch (at least two midrise proposals) so I guess others are more willing

don't diss the Dollarama ;)

Actually I love Dollarama! I wasn't being the least bit sarcastic :)

re: the old tavern at the SW corner of queen and sherbourne. there has been a rezoning sign on the building for eons indicating a condo development of some sort, but i noticed receontly that a new plaque has gone up with the name of a project manager, so hopefully there will be some progress on that site soon.

the old tavern at the SW corner of queen and sherbourne.

That's one of the two projects Mark mentions above. The corner is slated for a 10 storey project with the facade being saved.

The other is www.eastsidelofts.ca/flash.html

The rendering shows 13 but the city wouldn't go for it. They are now planning 7 storeys. The local owners are try to reduce this to 3 storeys with the one on the corner going higher than 10 in return. The locals want something of the calibre of Mozo or Kings Court on the corner. Something with 24 hours security to keep eyes on that corner all day.

The locals want something of the calibre of Mozo or Kings Court on the corner. Something with 24 hours security to keep eyes on that corner all day.
Wow, that could do wonders for that intersection.

What's wrong with Centre Honda? I see no point in driving big business out of the area. IMO, the building of the new Volvo dealership did wonders to improve the Dundas & River area. And...that new BMW dealership on Eastern or Lakeshore is a fantastic addition to the skyline, IMO.
The problem is that Centre Honda is no BMW Toronto. It's ugly, has a big surface lot surrounded by chain-link fencing and has a billboard-plastered warehouse building next door that could be put to better use (lofts anyone?). There's basically much better uses for that site that wouldn't necessarily mean a loss of jobs to the city.

That's going to be a tough corner to bring up, even a notch or two. The Salvation Army's large Maxwell Meighen shelter abuts it, plus a storefront ministry. Moss Park at that corner is full of folks from the shelter looking for some fresh air, and sundry delights. The storefronts along Queen Street's north side - although architectecturally historical and wondrous, are dilapidated, and the sidewalk below is a linear hangout for down-and-outs of all descriptions, and has been for years. The corner is flanked by two large swaths of open street on it's north sides by Moss Park proper, and Moss Park Apartment's front lawn, which has a daily sort of impromptu lawn sale.

What happens on these sites will be interesting, socially - to say the least. If there's a quick condo eruption on this corner, it's foreseeable that there could be more than a few impolite skirmishes between the haves and have-nots.

yeah it really makes me wonder if the people that bought units around the Richmond and Sherbourne area were aware of the sketchiness that awaited them a block away. that sort of thing doesn't make it into the typical wildly optimistic rendering of a development!

Presumably, the same question could be asked about the buyers in those new buildings at Wellesley and Sherbourne, who have agreed to buy into St. Jamestown...

The same can be said about a lot of projects. Pantages abuts the homeless population that hangs out around St. Mike's and Metropolitan United.

But I hear some Pantages people are mighty pissed because after the tower was built, St. Mike's built a helipad.

The new Harbour Lights shelter at Shuter and Jarvis isn't going to help either. Crane is up for it.

I'm actually writing a piece for the next issue of Spacing on the Richmond & Sherbourne corner. The theme of the issue will be "intersections" and Richmond & Sherbourne will be mine. If anyone has any ideas, I'd be willing to listen (although I have plenty myself).

Taddle Creek used to run through here. The main reason I suspect Britain St. curves southward as it approaches Sherbourne.

Darkstar, you could mention in your article what a pain in the arse the Tim Horton's is, in terms of illegal parking on Richmond, illegal parking in the courtyard of the Richmond condo, litter generally spread out and about along the sidewalks and bus shelters surrounding Tim Horton's. Oh, and the Greyhound buses that idle and pollute the neighbourhood and irritate the residents while the drivers stroll into Tim's for their coffee.

Back