53004548878_20d67b4b8a_b.jpg

53004548843_3eb183e75a_b.jpg

53004549388_870607f964_b.jpg

53004222624_ae8edee496_b.jpg

53003476972_6f4e465e12_b.jpg

53004449875_9fd1b2eba1_b.jpg

53003777376_0d8a0394e5_b.jpg

53004211443_159d4c1e73_b.jpg

Since I fired up the Photoshop for 'SkyTower'... took a stab at a possible look for the 328.4 metre version (2 hanger sections). Might be a bit too generous with the top 2 floors(?).

Original rendering from the City of Toronto via an UrbanToronto story below.
https://urbantoronto.ca/news/2023/0...colour-march-transit-remains-major-draw.51926

View attachment 488012

Also had a day-dream that Gabriel C. was hired to provide better separation distance for the 19 Bloor West proposal. 🙃

View attachment 488014
Whoever made that 19 Bloor West rendering got the top of The One wrong in the first place; it should only have had two sections at the top, plus that three-storey add-on above the last hanger section. The approved version will have two hanger sections above the mechanical, and then the roof garden/tuned mass damper section, no more three-floor hanger-less section.

View attachment 488401
If the mech box at the top (elevator over-run? or perhaps tuned-mass damper?) looks anything like it does in the render... would love to see it wearing a green dress.

Perhaps @Northern Light could chime in on weather (and height) tolerant green stuff that could thrive 328 metres up.

If the mech box at the top (elevator over-run? or perhaps tuned-mass damper?) looks anything like it does in the render... would love to see it wearing a green dress.

Perhaps @Northern Light could chime in on weather (and height) tolerant green stuff that could thrive 328 metres up.

There are several wind tolerant plants (wind/temperature extremes being the primary issue at height).

But covering an over-run would be a bit more complicated than that.

You either need plants that require very little care/irrigation, or you have to provide that (then associated drainage), and then aside from the roof itself, being designed to support the weight/drainage issues, you would need access to the underlying structure, which probably means looking at something trellised or built-out around the structure.

Sedum is an exceedingly low-maintenance plant but i don't believe you can sustain it as a wall. It likes to be flat, it's a ground cover.

Purple Cone Flower is quite durable, but again, won't grow sideways, and probably needs some added access to moisture.

Winterberry might work.

An alternative would be columnar trees that grow to a modest height in the same range as the overrun, there are probably well suited red cedars for that purpose. They're pretty tough. Dwarf white spruce might also work. But you need someone with a specialty in roof-tops and an engineer who knows elevator over-run structures to comment on what might be feasible. I've never been involved in a landscape project of that type.

Ideally, everything would be designed w/it in mind, but it may be feasible to retrofit.

Last edited:
Thanks NL for that verdure of thoughtful replies.

From a couple of decades in living in walls o' green Cabbagetown, can't help wondering if ivy(s), presumably with some sort of lattice to climb, would be an option way up there...?

Thanks NL for that verdure of thoughtful replies.

From a couple of decades in living in walls o' green Cabbagetown, can't help wondering if ivy(s), presumably with some sort of lattice to climb, would be an option way up there...?

Virginia Creeper is the native ivy of choice in these parts, it does not like heavy, cold wind at all. I don't believe Wisteria would be hardy in that setting either.

Back