Don't forget Novgorod, Naples, and Carthage, all of which are ultimately named "new town" or "new city" in their respective languages.
You mean Cartagena I think, but yeah!

Luxury brand that doesn't yet operate in Canada, hmm. I could go for an Edition, Mandarin, Peninsula, or, the dream, an Aman.

I can't imagine Toronto hosting an Aman so soon - they are barely starting to get into the bigger urban centres in the West.

AoD

Quote from the article: “Getting the hotel in there just drives the price of those residential units that much higher," said Hall. "It's one thing to say you live in The One apartment tower, but it's another to say you are living at the Ritz-Carlton or Shangri-La.”

This is one aspect that I thought the building would have capitalized on, as I’ve never found the name ‘The One’ particularly captivating. Perhaps a rebrand wasn’t feasible, since the hotel was worked into the project at a relatively late stage. Not to mention, having only 10 floors and no North American presence, might have meant the brand wouldn’t have much added-value. I’m thinking a smaller chain, along the lines of J Hotel.

Quote from the article: “Getting the hotel in there just drives the price of those residential units that much higher," said Hall. "It's one thing to say you live in The One apartment tower, but it's another to say you are living at the Ritz-Carlton or Shangri-La.”

This is one aspect that I thought the building would have capitalized on, as I’ve never found the name ‘The One’ particularly captivating. Perhaps a rebrand wasn’t feasible, since the hotel was worked into the project at a relatively late stage. Not to mention, having only 10 floors and no North American presence, might have meant the brand wouldn’t have much added-value. I’m thinking a smaller chain, along the lines of J Hotel.
Not operating in Canada yet, North America quite possibly. Add Taj, Conrad, and Waldorf Astoria to that possibilities list, but I'm guessing Mandarin (for no particular reason).

Not operating in Canada yet, North America quite possibly. Add Taj, Conrad, and Waldorf Astoria to that possibilities list, but I'm guessing Mandarin (for no particular reason).

Waldorf Astoria appears to be building up their presence in some cities in NA. Here in SF, they're a part of the new Oceanwide Center, also designed by Foster and Partners.

Waldorf Astoria appears to be building up their presence in some cities in NA. Here in SF, they're a part of the new Oceanwide Center, also designed by Foster and Partners.

Not to get too off-topic, but some of the Oceanwide Center renders on the F+P site are quite reminiscent of some of those of 1BW.

img3_2213_fp584216.jpg

img4_2213_fp584221.jpg

Back