The One will probably not be completed and open for 3+ years. Do you think Apple is prepared to wait? We do have many other posible locations for a new Apple emporium.

I don't know if Apple will be adding many stores in the future. Apple is losing its 'cool' factor among young people. It's like Facebook was cool before mom and grandma joined.

I don't know if Apple will be adding many stores in the future. Apple is losing its 'cool' factor among young people. It's like Facebook was cool before mom and grandma joined.
It may be losing its cool - I think you're absolutely right there - but its value as a premium brand will last for years yet. More and more it seems to be about prestige and upper-percentile luxury.... and there are always going to be people willing to buy the into the dream for status. Apple is like Leica that way.

As for whether or not a fruit company or some other brand is going into this building, I'm far more concerned with the execution of details for the building as a whole. Very excited to be able to watch it begin its ascent.

Clearly they do not agree, as they have not yet opened a flagship store here, long after Montreal got its flagship on Ste-Catherine. Had they found the right spot earlier on, we would have one by now.

Ste Catherine was never considered a flagship internally. I think it was to due with the floorspace...

I know it doesn't make the grade anymore, but never? They certainly did not suggest to the media that it wasn't a flagship store, as the media used that term constantly, from the announcement through to the store's opening and beyond. That suggests to me that Apple press releases called it such; had they not, there would have been more variation in the way the store was reported on.

They started chopping out the remaining building on the property today.
Isn't this going to be a real pain to work around once they start excavating? Is it not more practical to tear it down and rebuild it later on?
tear-down.jpg

Attachments

• tear-down.jpg
    tear-down.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 737

Despite all of their missteps, Apple remains a laudable organization. Every interaction designer, data scientist and pretty much everyone I work with in product development/deisgn who uses a Mac. You can argue about server farms and GPUs, but mostly people are happy with Macs. It's hard to imagine a musician or artist who would choose to work in Windows, despite Windows 10 being a vastly improved experience. The Facebook argument doesn't work either, it's found it's home, consciously with the friends and family crowd. Twitter is about ephemeral experiences, Instagram, skews younger. WeChat etc. They serve different audiences. To Apple's credit they've managed to stay relevant throughout cycle after cycle. Even more interesting is that the premium retail experience (it was so good to see a new Indigo at Sherway over the holidays) has energy. The big box stores are in trouble from the Amazon's of the world, but street level, retail(premium or other), feels strong. Even if you don't like the X it's still has some interesting M/L tech built in, not to mention getting OLED right.

It's still a pretty small number. A next gen store would make perfect sense. Apple's in it for the long game.

https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/apple-retail-stores/

Apple is a very patient for a tech company.

AoD

A friend was interviewing with Apple in London, Ontario and brought up the potential for an Apple Store in this development. The response he got was a really big grin, and a very positive sounding "where did you hear that?". Could mean nothing, but thought I'd share.

A friend was interviewing with Apple in London, Ontario and brought up the potential for an Apple Store in this development. The response he got was a really big grin, and a very positive sounding "where did you hear that?". Could mean nothing, but thought I'd share.
The circumstantial evidence that there'll be an Apple store here is at 111% already, but that would add it up to 111.00000000001%.

Back