Part of the 'problem' for Toronto is that its two major high-rise building booms have occurred during modern and neo-modern minimalist moments. We don't have the variety in our high-rise built form that cities like New York and Chicago have, which is to say a more satisfying balance of pre-war and modernist towers. Of course this is all subjective and some may see no issue with it at all.

Regardless, Modernizt gives a thoughtful personal response regarding the disdain for pre-war design styles prevalent in certain circles in this city, but I do understand TDotTeen's frustration. The fetish for clean lines doesn't always translate to design that is relatable. On the other end of the spectrum we've been spending far too much cultural effort chasing the iconic or 'fashionable' that we are not doing the more basic work. We need to be articulating a built form that is meaningful in a vernacular way, i.e. one that borrows from the local and the traditional (scale, materials and detail etc) and translates it into a context that is modern and specifically relevant to us. In the absence of this our city starts to lose its distinctness and feels increasingly random and disjointed, an 'anywheres-ville' kind of place. Maybe this is what TDotTeen worries about and not the literal absence of doric columns or design 'pippy-poos' per se?

Projects such as the Honest Ed's development or 5ive or M/G represent trends that are hopeful in Toronto though, they are mindful of the urban realm and/or value connective aspects of the specific pre-existing vernacular, elevating these things as they do. At the same time they still manage to add their own distinctive gestures. It can be done.

That said, none of this very relevant to The One as few would argue that this is a location for a dramatic moment in the Toronto skyline!

An 8-storey podium? We have been told that there will be 7 floors of high-end retail (some of which I assume might be below ground level), so there would be at least one floor of non-retail in the podium, maybe more. I'm guessing amenities. Pools (in the plural) were mentioned earlier.

Back to the potential glass pyramid shape (if that's the design they're going for); I wonder if it'll be something similar to the Shard in London.

I guess this will be an interesting evening, what with the prestigious F&P partners designing this skyscraper. While away, working in Barcelona, I read all the stuff about the developer wanting this to go "iconic" and all that, with his references to Chrysler, Empire State and what have you. I am of course not taking these references literally (meaning that I am not expiating a deco dust off) -- but the developers are trying to tell us that this new building will ultimately have the status of those buildings, to Torontonians. I hope so. Let's see what they unveil. BTW-- this is a good corner for real height.

I guess this will be an interesting evening, what with the prestigious F&P partners designing this skyscraper. While away, working in Barcelona, I read all the stuff about the developer wanting this to go "iconic" and all that, with his references to Chrysler, Empire State and what have you. I am of course not taking these references literally (meaning that I am not expiating a deco dust off) -- but the developers are trying to tell us that this new building will ultimately have the status of those buildings, to Torontonians. I hope so. Let's see what they unveil. BTW-- this is a good corner for real height.

That's exactly the message to take from the references to those New York buildings—and not the more literal interpretation that some readers took. That too literal understanding will set some up for disappointment.

Where is this unveiling happening? Might want to go.

It will be at the Park Hyatt hotel on Avenue Road at Bloor, Queen's Park Ballroom on the first level.

That's exactly the message to take from the references to those New York buildings—and not the more literal interpretation that some readers took. That too literal understanding will set some up for disappointment.

To be fair, the references have been rather liberal, not to mention incoherent. I suppose the promise here is Foster but we'll know soon enough. I do hope it is exciting!!

Oh don't worry, my little ones. This will be the fairest building of all the lands.

Just one more sleep (if you take a nap this afternoon, that is).

Back