Saw this clunker up close today, not worth taking photos of. The painted brick looks cheap, resembles a shade of pale canned salmon. Should also look worse with age.

Yep, that's what it is, a pale pinkish colour. It doesn't look like the colour of real brick. I also do not like the colour.

Plazacorp uses the same pinkish paint color on all their brick projects. This one, KWL, and the other one on Lakeshore.

who likes that pink brick in all these buildings? I understand that painting it requires it to be one color (rather than a preferred mix of colors), but wouldn't most people like a red, or red/brown brick?

Pic taken July 14, 2013

2JRWRkz.jpg

A little concerned about how that painted brick will weather over time, but honestly I don't hate this one. The liberal use of "brick" is nice, minimal use of sprandrel, and the setbacks don't hurt. All in all it could be a lot worse.

A little concerned about how that painted brick will weather over time, but honestly I don't hate this one.

They don't paint these precast brick panels, they stain them. Stain penetrates the surface, as opposed to paint which just adheres to it. While paint can flake off, there's nothing to flake here, because the precast itself has changed colour.

Ah interesting, thanks. They can really do that post-installation eh? Wouldn't have guessed, assumed staining would be easier/more efficient when it's made.

I don't get why it's not done 'at the plant' either.

Back