I don't really understand how this is such a clear example of The Cheapening since the original hat wasn't tremendously different. What, are they saving a few thousand because they aren't using as much concrete? If you actually compare the photo with the model, you'll notice there are other, subtler differences. The vertical posts are flush with the balconies, rather than being attached to them. And the top of the building might now more closely resemble the tops of the other setbacks (as you can see on the model to the left). I'm getting the feeling this was a design choice.

And if someone's decision to buy or not buy into this building was entirely due to the construction of its hat, he or she probably shouldn't buy into it.

It's also not done, as urbandreamer points out.
The roof features of this building weren't a "hat", at least not how I think of it. To me a hat is something tacked onto the top of a building to look cool, with little relation to the rest of the building. The vertical posts on the Uptown were more of an integral part of the design of the building - they run 20-30 storeys down the building in the model and to a lesser extent the actual building. Continuing them up to the top of the roof isn't a "cheesy hat", it's the logical progression of the building's design.

The roof features of this building weren't a "hat", at least not how I think of it. To me a hat is something tacked onto the top of a building to look cool, with little relation to the rest of the building. The vertical posts on the Uptown were more of an integral part of the design of the building - they run 20-30 storeys down the building in the model and to a lesser extent the actual building. Continuing them up to the top of the roof isn't a "cheesy hat", it's the logical progression of the building's design.

Did I say "cheesy hat"? And it's a hat, whether you've decided it should be there or not - those fins serve no functional purpose. To be honest, I think both designs - hat or no hat - are kind of silly. But that's what happens when you ape older styles - people get bent out of shape trying to tell you when you are being authentic or not.

I'm actually more confused as to why people would think this is a cheapening, when some extra concrete to make these fins would be relatively inexpensive. Maybe they thought they were silly or didn't like them or whatever - it's not clear that this is a cost-based decision at all. It's Burka, after all - they don't always make logical design choices.

whether you want to play games of semantics about whether the roof element is a hat or there has been cheapening of the design, it is clearly cutting corners and detracts from what MisterF calls the "logical progression" of the design. Instead of a completed idea with the mechanical box becoming an integral part of the design, we have detailing that stops short, leaving the mechanical box exposed on top. Of course this is all assuming that they have indeed ended construction...

5033602024_10206569ed_b.jpg

OMG! What projects are/has tomms (been) involved with?!! Crazy! funny how small Casa is from up there!. How tall is the crane operating box above ground!

wait a minute!. how does he get up there?! (i think he got atop X condo too). He must be a connected guy :D!

I think he was recently atop one of the Republic buildings at Yonge/Eg and I know he was up near the top of RBC. I sure there are many more...I can't think of them right now. I always get excited when I see Tomms has posted something.

Stupid me, I thought it was from a helicopter & I thought, who's drivin' this thing?!:rolleyes:

A quick look at Uptown. Give her back her crown!
[video=youtube;GtJlpQzY3uY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtJlpQzY3uY[/video]

Thanks for all the updates guys.

After the initial shock of the flatter crown (over the rendering), I don't think it will make or brake this tower. The materials have and will always be the biggest let down for me. That and losing a great auditorium space (I would have loved to see it turned into a concert venue). Overall though, I think it's a decent addition to the skyline.

Back