There are no load bearing masonry skyscrapers outside of Egypt. The major difference between a modern skyscraper and a prewar one is the distribution of the weight. A modern skyscraper is largely supported by a massive core with some columns along the floorplate's perimeter while a prewar skyscraper is supported evenly by columns throughout the floorplate. The latter is more stable but doesn't allow for column free spaces ideal for open concept floorplans

Historically speaking, it was Chicago's Monadnock Building which marked the ultimate in (and point of no return for) load-bearing brick/stone skyscraper design
1178498637-56636_full.jpg

Oct. 8th

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

The uptown, oct. 8

From the former ROY SQUARE:

october820093.jpg

october820094.jpg

Great photos.

I have a great view of Crystal Blu and Uptown from my office in 33 Bloor - the Uptown has one hideous lower backside - what are the plans for it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Great photos.

I have a great view of Crystal Blu and Uptown from my office in 33 Bloor - the Uptown has one hideous lower backside - what are the plans for it?

What we see is what we get.

They are hoping something happens on Yonge St to hide it in the coming years.

This building has never impress me with some hope it may improve drown the road.

Is that siding on the lower part of Uptown (Facing Yonge) to be left as is:eek: I just assumed something was going over it.

As far as I know ... the precast panels on Uptown's podium visible from Yonge Street is the finished product ... here to stay ~ :(

It's really not that visible tho. Keep in mind that most of the sightlines where you can actually see the parking levels will be obstructed once 1BE gets developed

Just looking at that photo above, from the Falafel shop to Le Chateau is just begging to be assembled into one property, then redeveloped with the old Uptown Cinemas entrance becoming the front door for the new project...

which would hide the horrible back wall of the Uptown Podium.

Just looking at that photo above, from the Falafel shop to Le Chateau is just begging to be assembled into one property, then redeveloped with the old Uptown Cinemas entrance becoming the front door for the new project...

which would hide the horrible back wall of the Uptown Podium.

I agree, except the Tea Shop frontage should remain also and be restored (see below). Unfortunately the former Uptown Cinema lobby has load bearing walls, presumably the other buildings do too so that collection of properties would need to be torn down while retaining the fronts of Uptown & the Tea Shop if redeveloped. Sadly what is left of the former Uptown lobby would be also lost in the process.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Only on the Balmuto side. The rest was always going to be precast. Even the model reflected that, if you look back a few pages.

Back