Uptown amounts to a building with a basic Art Deco shape and setbacks and little else. I'm getting tired of all these comparisons to New York Art Deco landmarks and how it doesn't compare well. No, this run of the mill development doesn't compare to the finest Art Deco towers that were built in the 1930s. What a realization! There's no need for anymore comparisons.

Thankfully you don't own or run this forum. If you limit discussion on the merit that it is pointless because nothing can be done about it now, then ALL discussion on here is pointless because none of us can do anything about any of it. Sure talk is cheap, but that's what we do on here. We discuss the merits or shortcomings of all the projects, despite the fact that we can do nothing about it except comment.

More to the point... The topic that Uptown is not living up to (or even closely approaching) the buildings that inspired it, is exactly on point and not moot at all. The developer announced it was to be inspired by the great Art Deco buildings of last century and has failed to deliver, so the project begs for criticism and suggestions of where it could have practically and affordably achieved its original goals.

The rest of us apologize for boring you, but please don't try to stifle relevant conversation because of your irritation, thanks.

Last edited:
so now we are just waiting to see if they follow through with the vertical detailing on the roof.... picture by casaguy from 2007:

upmodel5.jpg

I really like this building because of its uniqueness and I am glad it is not a duplication of some other building in some other city. I like the art deco influence on this building and the fact that it is a more modern adaptation of it. It is both modernist and art deco"ish" at the same time. Some may feel it is lacking in finishes but I am not one of them. Modernist architecture is often more plain or sterile than detailed but that’s the effect the architect was going for. You either like it or you don’t, but it is wrong to crap on people either way. Express yourself and let others do likewise.

I like how the "fins" (the lines that go up the balconies) extends all the way up the mechanical box. it adds a really nice touch to an otherwise boring mechanical structure.

Thankfully you don't own or run this forum. If you limit discussion on the merit that it is pointless because nothing can be done about it now, then ALL discussion on here is pointless because none of us can do anything about any of it. Sure talk is cheap, but that's what we do on here. We discuss the merits or shortcomings of all the projects, despite the fact that we can do nothing about it except comment.

The rest of us apologize for boring you, but please don't try to stifle relevant conversation because of your irritation, thanks.

I didn't say anything about limiting discussions because nothing can be done about it. Pay attention before you go on a rant. Sure, the building deserves criticism, but comparisons that consist of posting a photo of a beautiful Art Deco landmark in New York and then saying that Uptown doesn't compare at all are shallow and boring.

More to the point... The topic that Uptown is not living up to (or even closely approaching) the buildings that inspired it, is exactly on point and not moot at all. The developer announced it was to be inspired by the great Art Deco buildings of last century and has failed to deliver, so the project begs for criticism and suggestions of where it could have practically and affordably achieved its original goals.
So if you want a real conversation instead of a compilation of ridiculous comparisons, fantastic. What sorts of details could have been "practically and affordably" achieved in this world of architects trained to work with curtain walls, one that lacks Art Deco masters? Would it be one-of-a-kind ornamentation like grillework, artistic motifs consistently applied or developed throughout the facade and/or reliefs? What degree of inspiration would be satisfactory? Also, consider the possibility of infusing classic Art Deco details with modern imagery.

The building is disappointing and one might go as far as to suggest that developer didn't have any architectural ambition in putting together this development. Maybe the design goal was for it to look cheesy and populist like a suburban banquet hall to sell some condos. "Inspired" is a deliberately vague choice of words.

..ISo if you want a real conversation instead of a compilation of ridiculous comparisons, fantastic. What sorts of details could have been "practically and affordably" achieved in this world of architects trained to work with curtain walls, one that lacks Art Deco masters? Would it be one-of-a-kind ornamentation like grillework, artistic motifs consistently applied or developed throughout the facade and/or reliefs? What degree of inspiration would be satisfactory? Also, consider the possibility of infusing classic Art Deco details with modern imagery...

Before you go on a rant, you should pay attention and look back a few posts. There you will see that I did offer a cheap and easy way to improve this building's looks, that was more in keeping with an Art Deco theme...

...and I even did a render to illustrate my point.

Sheesh!

4996887288_f2b5e41780_b.jpg

(Found in post number 1224 here : http://urbantoronto.ca/showthread.p...o-St-Pemberton-48s-Burka)&p=443926#post443926 on page 82)

Last edited:

"Inspired by" doesn't mean absolutely, extravagantly, to-the-letter, unless the buyers were expecting some kind of Robert Stern spectacular. Generically speaking, it *is* inspired by bla bla bla, esp. if you compare it to its neighbours Crystal Blu, Manulife, the student housing on Charles, etc. Okay, so it's pared-down, stripped-down, so it's less New Yorkish than (as I said) like a hyperthyroid Mussolini's Italy thing. But it still registers as "inspired by the great Art Deco buildings". It may not be hot bananas, but it isn't quite the gyp that Crystal Not-So-Blu is...

I just noticed in traynor's render, the 2 little fins that go up the mechanical box REALLY remind me of the top of ROCP..

well, thats because ROCP is vaguely inspired by Art Deco as well... its too bad Traynor didnt finish off the roof elements in that render. must be getting lazy in his old age!

well, thats because ROCP is vaguely inspired by Art Deco as well... its too bad Traynor didnt finish off the roof elements in that render. must be getting lazy in his old age!

That is sooooo true! I was being lazy. I did that render quickly, just to illustrate my point of how cheaply they could have improved this building. (i.e. by just ordering some charcoal grey spandrel along with the cream and the building becomes tolerable.) It wasn't meant to illustrate the finished product as my other renders do.

I will endeavour to be more thorough in the future!

;)

Before you go on a rant, you should pay attention and look back a few posts. There you will see that I did offer a cheap and easy way to improve this building's looks, that was more in keeping with an Art Deco theme...

...and I even did a render to illustrate my point.

Sheesh!

4996887288_f2b5e41780_b.jpg

(Found in post number 1224 here : http://urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?464-Uptown-Residences-(Balmuto-St-Pemberton-48s-Burka)&p=443926#post443926 on page 82)

I wasn't going on a rant. I was taking you up on your desire to have a conversation. In terms of your rendering, I like your subtle and low-cost improvements but in the long run, it's still a building that evokes Art Deco without the most important part, the art. As least Postmodernists in the '80s and '90s could create original fusions of Modernism and Art Deco, with impressive displays of glass and granite. They could go for spires truly inspired by Art Deco with facades that were unabashedly contemporary.

Back