Yeah, and if only Cityplace used this planning model...

AoD

Aww man, that kind of makes me depressed thinking about what Cityplace could have been.

I am looking forward to more renders and the rest of the details! The evaluation by the planning department should also be an interesting read as I can't see there being any issues with this one.

There was no huge interest there

I'm curious, did some digging and found this:

The first plan, developed in the early 1970s and called Metro Centre, would have replaced Union Station and created a modernist multi-levelled, high-density office and residential development. Of this vision, only the CN Tower was built. The second plan, developed in collaboration with the City of Toronto in the 1980s, proposed a pattern of streets, blocks, and parks reconnecting the city to its waterfront, on which high-density office (generally in the east) and residential development (generally in the west) would occur. Of this vision, the Skydome, Railway Lands Park (and convention centre expansion), Bremner Boulevard, and parts of the street plan east of Spadina Avenue, were built in the late 1980s and early 1990s. A third plan, essentially an enhanced version of the second plan, was completed in the early 1990s, and it imposed greater certainty on the form of development.

In the mid-1990s, Canada Lands (successor to CN) sold its lands to Concord Adex. Concord Adex sought permission to develop a fourth plan for the area west of the Skydome, based on the residential building typologies (low-rise buildings and point-towers) that it had successfully used on the Expo lands in Vancouver. After negotiations between the City and the developer, and a series of public meetings, a new plan was developed and approved in late 1998, which would create a pattern of streets, blocks, and parks, framed by street-related buildings, generally four to six storeys in height, punctuated in appropriate locations by residential point-towers. These changes were not without controversy, especially over matters of building height.

http://archives.chbooks.com/online_books/eastwest/137.html

and this:

In 1996, Concord Adex began negotiations to purchase 18 hectares of land just west of the SkyDome, and the spending began. There were planning and rezoning costs. Then, millions of dollars in annual property taxes kicked in in 1997 when the purchase of the former railway lands from Canada Lands Corp. was finalized. The marketing department was the next in line for money to promote the condominium community – CityPlace. Employees and insurance bills also had to be paid.
Six years and millions of dollars later, the company has a cash flow. In March, the first resident is expected to move into the first tower of CityPlace, one of the Matrix towers.
"We write a lot of cheques – my wrist is going wobbly," says Henry Man, Chief Operating Officer of Concord Adex Developments Corp. "Not many people have the vision, longevity and the ability to hold on to a property like this."

http://www.magellen2020.com/articles_archive.asp

Last edited:
My first thought was that this is exactly what Liberty Village should have looked like. Even CityPlace has more charm than some of the totally lifeless, block-sized podiums there.

RealestateBizNow sent out an email today regarding the Well.....there is a small photo of what may be the office tower, but I am not sure....the background doesn't match....anyone know?

59247_1391107917_well2.jpg

RealestateBizNow sent out an email today regarding the Well.....there is a small photo of what may be the office tower, but I am not sure....the background doesn't match....anyone know?

Looks like it matches to me. That looks like CityPlace's Apex and Matrix to the right, and the Ritz and Canada Trust Tower even further right in the distance.

Took the liberty of enlarging it slightly....a little fat for a sail, but looks interesting....

12237872324_622e906c82_c.jpg

/note: I do not own this photo, which is copyright protected

Last edited:
It looks like *Pickard Chilton (correction) borrowed the Toronto city hall clam-shell motif and extruded it.

Last edited:
Pickard Chilton you mean.

Oh right. I didn't think the tower looked much like HPA. The tower's ok, but looks rather generic/corporate. Too bad Toronto doesn't have a tradition of holding international architectural design competitions for high-profile projects such as this.

Hope that the max. is 20 stories. Preferably 13 to 15 stories, well-scaled for the street, and complimentary to existing buildings on Wellington:

IMG_0228.jpg

IMG_0237.jpg

Jan 31st

Present state of the subject properties along Wellington facing east (I tried to match it up best as I could with some of the renderings, not being able to fly in the air and all :p):

IMG_0235.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0228.jpg
    IMG_0228.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 1,253
  • IMG_0237.jpg
    IMG_0237.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 1,279
  • IMG_0235.jpg
    IMG_0235.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 1,291

Back