The building heights will probably step down as they approach Wellington Street and Draper Street. My guess is that greatest height will be reserved for the Spadina and Front Street corner (the former Globe and Mail site).

Wellington is a like a linear park, so I'm hoping the emphasis is to maintain a reasonable amount of light hitting that street.

Yes, agreed. And sorry, I should have clarified that I only meant max. 20 stories on Wellington @ Spadina, then tapering down going west on Wellington to preferably 13 to 15 stories. Doing a quick count of the number of floors depicted in the renderings, it does appear that way. It's such a wonderful street already, but this new proposal will make it truly awesome.

The building heights will probably step down as they approach Wellington Street and Draper Street. My guess is that greatest height will be reserved for the Spadina and Front Street corner (the former Globe and Mail site).

Good guess, that's exactly what our front page story says!

Podiums along Wellington are planned to be pretty consistent; 6 storeys high each, although the two lower levels are each double-height, so they'll be the equivalent of eight storeys high. The apartments (condo and rental mix, not finally determined at this point) rising behind the podiums will be around 18 storeys close to Spadina (the building right at Spadina is not part of the property) and then will drop to about 14 storeys near Draper. (I believe the building right at Draper is not part of the property either, but I'm less sure about that.)

Along Front, as stated in our front page story, there will be a 34-storey office tower, the highest building on the site. Residential towers to the west of it, (designed by Hariri Pontarini), are taller than those closer to Wellington, and gradually decline in height towards to west. yyzer posted a low-res image yesterday showing that.

We let the people from The Well know about that image, and they've sent a higher-res version of it, and this info about it:

The office building, designed by world renowned architect Jon Pickard of Pickard Chilton (chosen following a design competition), will be 34 storeys in height at the gateway intersection of Front and Spadina. The base of the building features a public entrance that flows into the central retail spine for The Well. The east and west elevations are curved in a tribute to the nearby historical Lake Ontario shoreline and urban sky gardens will be a green feature that will be welcome to a wide range of office tenants.

WellOfficeTwr960.jpg

I have added a close-up of the tower in the dataBase file. Consider the residential towers as pictured just placeholders for the moment.

Attachments

• WellOfficeTwr960.jpg
    WellOfficeTwr960.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 2,942
I want more details so badly haha.. I really want to add this to my 3D model but I don't have enough info yet.. a site plan would be a miracle.

It all looks quite interesting, but - should I say it? I think a better name for this than 'The Well' could be found. I think of...well, a well.

well-w-bucket.jpg

Attachments

• well-w-bucket.jpg
    well-w-bucket.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,120
I tend to think of the word 'well' as well being. The developers are going for a mix-use community: Live Well. Work Well. Shop Well. And on Wellington St.

Adding the word "market" suggests a place that you wouldn't want to live, necessarily. We have enough Districts, Markets, and Places downtown. And calling it The Wellington just sounds too pretentious.

The Well makes total sense. It's simple, hip, and young.

I tend to think of the word 'well' as well being. The developers are going for a mix-use community: Live Well. Work Well. Shop Well. And on Wellington St.

Adding the word "market" suggests a place that you wouldn't want to live, necessarily. We have enough Districts, Markets, and Places downtown. And calling it The Wellington just sounds too pretentious.

The Well makes total sense. It's simple, hip, and young.

I don't know if it's hip and young so much as contrived and lame. It sounds like something some middle-aged marketers think sounds hip and young. I've never heard anybody under 35 use a phrase like "live well". Sounds like something you'd hear in pro-biotic yogurt commercial.

Last edited:
Oh, by 'young' I didn't mean teenagers or twenties lol. It's marketed for people who can actually afford a condo and not merely rent, i.e. 30's and up. By this age people are starting to get concerned about not being invincible and thinking about their health that's all. Maybe it is lame. So yes, the same marketing by middle-aged marketers that goes into yogurt is used here. And the name likely appeals to single women into health and well being and who are a huge demographic in the condo buying world.

Ultimately it's condo marketing cheese.

Probiotic, organic, chicken-flavoured vegan cheese.

I don't really get the name either. Why not something like "Wellington Market"?

There's a Kensington Market just north and "The Market" just east. Lots of markets.

I think we should just be happy they didn't go with "NoFro" or "SoWell".

I think we should just be happy they didn't go with "NoFro" or "SoWell".

Agreed. Its bad enough that some of the local business community wanted to called the area around Thor Espresso/GotStyle/Thompson Hotel 'NoLa' (North of Lakeshore), thankfully that didn't stick.

I doubt Metrolinx will okay the proposed park cantilevered over the train tracks. That idea goes against their Bathurst North GO Station idea/plan.
Screen Shot 2014-02-10 at 6.40.11 PM.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-02-10 at 6.40.11 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-02-10 at 6.40.11 PM.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,733

Back