If it's letting rain through I would be yes.

I’d like to see an umbrella that doesn’t let rain fall over the edges 😂. Maybe best just avoid going outside if that’s the desire, haha. In any case, I have to think that the general consensus will be tipped slightly towards impressed vs annoyed by the general public when they see the new canopy 😅.

It's open to the elements, so the temperature under the roof will be the outside temperature.
I expect that anyone wandering around will be dressed for the outside conditions (cold, wet, snowy).
I assume there'd be some elevators leading down to the more sheltered levels like the food court area
so office workers don't need to don a heavy coat to go for lunch.

outside of the likely high costs of leasing retail space, it's hard to understand why retailers arent clamouring for spaces in here and why they are not all leased already. it's beautiful and will become a concentrated hub for shoppers. what more could you want?

Last edited by a moderator:
outside of the likely high costs of leasing retail space, it's hard to understand why retailers arent clamouring for spaces in here and why they are not all leased already. it's beautiful and will become a concentrated hub for shoppers. what more could you want?

Retail seems to be dying all over the city lately. I figure it's due to an end to COVID subsidies, a shift to online retail, and high interest rates. Not a great environment to essentially open a new mall.

I do wonder how waterproof the area under the roof with actually be. I know they cant technically connect the roof to the buildings because of code reasons, but how much water/snow will actually end up coming through? If there is a rainstorm will people be mostly covered? It seems like more of an annoyance than anything.
I think it's worth pointing out that there are drains spaced regularly across the length of the spine, meaning there's a sizeable gutter for rain and snow runoff. I imagine the amount of rain/snow coming through that small of a crack that is also adjacent to other buildings would be fairly minimal.

Retail seems to be dying all over the city lately. I figure it's due to an end to COVID subsidies, a shift to online retail, and high interest rates. Not a great environment to essentially open a new mall.
Off-topically: You'd think they would keep something that's a backbone for our economy currently... /sigh

From the Tridel livecam:

image1.jpg

Still busy constructing despite the rain

Climate control. ;)

Back