January 1, 2024. A New Year's Day look back at what used to be the site of The Well, when we first moved into our condominium in 2010, followed by a mid-construction picture of The Well being framed by a rainbow, and then a couple of current photos taken this morning. All four photos from the same vantage point, the south-east corner of our balcony.

DSCF0124.JPG

Rainbow - 2020-10-08 a.jpg

20240101_133952.jpg

1000003060.jpg

Attachments

• Rainbow 2020-10-08 c.jpg
    Rainbow 2020-10-08 c.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Rainbow June 24 2020 a.jpg
    Rainbow June 24 2020 a.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 18
I can't the roasting with an honest review of The Well 😭😭😭
Maybe honest for someone who spends their life living in the Florida Panhandle...

...as this person clearly has never been around our summers. But you know about some folks down south...that they think Canada is all Iqaluit. /sigh

Obviously outdoor malls in Canada aren't as ideal as they'd be in The Bahamas. But what is the alternative? Only having indoor spots to hang out? Being resigned to dark and dingy spots just because it's cold? If there's anyone on Earth who knows how to brave the winter it's Canadians. And sure, the mall may not be bustling with action when it's -20 outside, but walking around outdoors when it's around 0º really isn't that bad.

Spot on review.

Were you commenting on what was in print here only, or did you watch the video?

It absolutely was not.

I certainly can't endorse the whole thing as spot on, if only for the 'Tik Tok girlie" reference which was just juvenile; as was the general tone.

I think the take that it's only 1/2 open is a fair one, that part is accurate enough, the food hall is arguably the signature retail feature, as well as many of the restos, and those are mostly unopened as yet.

Certainly there has to be some fairness in that observation, and the hype is not supported by the currently open retailers.

The 'outdoor' mall in Canada/Not Florida business was really rather silly. As many have noted above, main street retail throughout the old City is linked by outdoor sidewalks. They generally don't have any form of roof/canopy either, which clearly exists at 'The Well'.

If you're arriving in winter gear, and going to a few different places, or strolling through, it's not like this is Yorkdale, it's less than a 5 minute walk from one end to other. Hardly a big deal.

The absence of seating in any form (including patio) at Prince Street is a fair observation. I've grabbed a slice there, and there really is nowhere convenient to eat it on the Front Street side at all; Wellington offers some nice options, but you'd need to know that and walk a minute or two out of the way.

Prince's owners know this is a problem and are working on some solution in terms of outdoor seating.

I do think it would have made sense to at least have some 'standing table' eating space inside; not so much due to winter specifically as just to meet the needs of customers any time of year. I do think the failure to include that was an odd mistake.

Last edited:
It absolutely was not.
Thanks for sharing.

Were you commenting on what was in print here only, or did you watch the video?
The video. I concur with the assessment that having an outdoor mall isn't ideal, especially when like the video points out, through lack of indoor seating, you're forced to eat outdoors in the cold.

I figure that once the food hall is open, people would bring food from Prince St Pizza there to eat. I can see enjoying a coffee or tea outdoors when it is cold, but digging into a pizza maybe not.

I think the units are far too wide at the Well. It makes for rather low density of shops.

sterday - despite the streetcar's slow trundle, stepping off with the nice pavers and architecture in the background is a lovely, novel type of Toronto urbanity.

Rekindled my desire for an extension of the Well's concept to the other side of Spadina:
I like this idea. Many of these outdoor concepts in the UK are split up and still work well, like the Bull Ring in Birmingham and Cabot Centre in Bristol.

Back