We've had this concept in the GTA before. There's Village by the Grange, there's Downsview Park Merchant's Market and Farmer's Market, (both the St Lawrence Market and the Market Area at Union Station can be seen as variations on this too) and for sure there are others besides, they are either just older or don't have as much money behind them or both. (Union Station is probably closest to this, but also has a national chain-filled foodcourt right beside it.)

Not that every counter/booth at the Wellington Market has a lot of money behind them; several are bare minimum set-up-wise, which is good as it allows less experienced (but promising) operators to get in there without huge up-front decor costs. Frankly, I think there are too many dessert-based counters/booths within the Market and there's no way they'll all be around longterm (at least, not through my patronage, I don't eat enough sweet stuff), so for sure it's good that there are relatively cheaper spots to open in within the Market... just to see if there's a large enough market for your offerings here...

...and all of that is not completely different from the other market-style food hall places I've mentioned above. So, some of the Wellington Market is high quality foodcourt finishings, and some of it is quick-open no-decorations — and maybe that combo is the one thing we haven't had, or not had much of, before in one venue.

Anyway, let's look at some of the less expensively set-up places:

View attachment 567958View attachment 567959

I missed the sign on this one, this is called Sweetie Pie, and it's got a full counter, but it seemed more sparely fitted out.

View attachment 567960

The Snakes and Lattes is a "rotating pop-up". I'm hoping they do well here, I think it could be fun here on a permanent basis. (Anyone who doesn't know how to play Azul in the top right corner of that shelf? Great game!!)

View attachment 567961View attachment 567962View attachment 567963View attachment 567964

Some of the cheaper buildouts still have serious signage, like Mado above (good, not too sweet nor sticky baklava), and Tong Mein below...

View attachment 567965

...and then there's Isabella's Mochi Donuts. I don't know if they are the world's best, but (along with a piece of baklava) they were the one sweet thing I tried (mango glazed) and I can tell you why they were all but gone when I got to this counter: wow, so, so good. If that's Isabella serving me there, I do not know how she maintains that trim size, unless it's that it all sells out before she gets any. I would never end up patronizing any other dessert joint in the Wellington Market, because I'd be trying another flavour here on every visit, and then I'd just cycle back again to the top of Isabella's menu.

View attachment 567966

In regards to the operating hours of the Wellington Market, this is straight from the development team:

The doors to the market are open from 7AM – 11PM, seven days a week. Every Wellington Market tenant is open between the hours of 11AM-7PM at a minimum. Depending on the day of the week and their product offering, some tenants will open before 11AM and close later than 7PM. If you are hoping to visit a specific tenant, it is best to check the Well website to confirm their specific hours. The bar stays open later into the evening and on Fridays from 6-10 there is DJ spinning on-site.​

I don't have any shots of the bar mentioned above ('The Pier'), not sure why I missed them, other than maybe because it was thronged. I did really enjoy a draft beer they are offering...

Thanks for that rundown 42 - looks like a well curated, diverse set of offerings without any low brow corporate fast food chains. Surprised to see Hooky's here since they recently closed their long standing location on Queen Street across from Trinity Bellwoods.

Thanks for that rundown 42 - looks like a well curated, diverse set of offerings without any low brow corporate fast food chains. Surprised to see Hooky's here since they recently closed their long standing location on Queen Street across from Trinity Bellwoods.
Yeah, someone else said the same thing to the Hooky's manager, and was just glad to see them in The Well!

In the meantime, we now have our front page story up, with a couple more pics from Anthony Teles, and a couple more that I didn't include in my posts on the previous page. One place that won't appear in any pics is the Prince Street Pizza counter in the Wellington Market, because THERE ISN'T ONE!!! Duh-duh-duhhhhhhh. Maybe they are showing up in the next batch of counters to opening in coming months.

My one regret from last night: I didn't scarf down a Japadog, and I want one NOWWWWW! Oof, sounding hangry!

IMG_3641.jpeg

We've had this concept in the GTA before. There's Village by the Grange, there's Downsview Park Merchant's Market and Farmer's Market, (both the St Lawrence Market and the Market Area at Union Station can be seen as variations on this too) and for sure there are others besides, they are either just older or don't have as much money behind them or both. (Union Station is probably closest to this, but also has a national chain-filled foodcourt right beside it.)
Village by the Grange is a hidden gem! It's looking a bit tired now, but it still has nice bones, not to mention a good selection of non-chain fast food offerings.

Not that every counter/booth at the Wellington Market has a lot of money behind them; several are bare minimum set-up-wise, which is good as it allows less experienced (but promising) operators to get in there without huge up-front decor costs. Frankly, I think there are too many dessert-based counters/booths within the Market and there's no way they'll all be around longterm (at least, not through my patronage, I don't eat enough sweet stuff), so for sure it's good that there are relatively cheaper spots to open in within the Market... just to see if there's a large enough market for your offerings here...

...and all of that is not completely different from the other market-style food hall places I've mentioned above. So, some of the Wellington Market is high quality foodcourt finishings, and some of it is quick-open no-decorations — and maybe that combo is the one thing we haven't had, or not had much of, before in one venue.

They were even trying this concept in the far flung corners of the GTA way back in 2018 at Upper Canada Mall; billed as a food hall and decidedly more upscale than anything else in the 905 at the time. Not sure how it's doing these days though.

https://torontolife.com/food/inside...uare-foot-food-hall-inside-upper-canada-mall/

From a consumer's standpoint, especially from one whose annual income is well below the poverty line here, the *prices on display are well within my budgeting range (no pun intended) if I plan to treat myself on the occasion, as opposed to making it an everyday staple. So I look forward to trying this out...should be an experience if not a hoot!

*Note: It's amazing what menus you can see from zooming up Mr. 42's given pics. No need to go Google-foo'ing, when it's all right there! <3

In a business sense, they just "relocated" it appears.

I heard the well had a large food court so stopped by to check it out. It’s not massive, and I don’t recognize all the restaurants here. No big chains that I can see
IMG_2067.jpeg
IMG_2066.jpeg
IMG_2069.jpeg
IMG_2068.jpeg
IMG_2062.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2065.jpeg
    IMG_2065.jpeg
    250.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2064.jpeg
    IMG_2064.jpeg
    237.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2063.jpeg
    IMG_2063.jpeg
    307.2 KB · Views: 8
Went to check out the Wellington Market today. Completely packed on Saturday!

IMG_9420.jpeg
IMG_9419.jpeg
IMG_9412.jpeg

The whole complex is buzzing and Wellington St vision turning out to be reality: the Grand Boulevard civic private/public space sort of vibe. Huge street packed with pedestrians and dogs lol so many dogs

IMG_9434.jpeg
IMG_9424.jpeg
IMG_9410.jpeg
IMG_9409.jpeg
IMG_9406.jpeg
IMG_9402.jpeg
IMG_9400.jpeg

Last edited:
Went to check out the Wellington Market today. Completely packed on Saturday!

View attachment 568790View attachment 568791View attachment 568792

The whole complex is buzzing and Wellington St vision turning out to be reality: the Grand Boulevard civic private/public space sort of vibe. Huge street packed with pedestrians and dogs lol so many dogs

View attachment 568793View attachment 568794View attachment 568795View attachment 568796View attachment 568797View attachment 568798View attachment 568799
That's a lot of traffic for a place not on a subway line.

Back