Way too early to know that.

There will be a "European Style" food market on the lower concourse level. There will likely be a chain grocery store in there too.

If I could make a guess, I would guess Farm Boy as they are currently in expansion mode in the GTA with recent openings in Hamilton and Etobicoke as well as recently announced stores in Oakville and Leslieville.

Another grocery store? Local residents will be spoiled for choice, with Sobey's across the tracks in City Place, the massive Loblaws under construction at Bathurst & Lake Shore and whatever ends up replacing Whole Foods in Minto Westside, not to mention another Loblaws 3 blocks north at Queen & Portland

Pics taken May 11, 2018

5ArXbzk.jpg

KFjWtc2.jpg

1zZbiHI.jpg

JEl1AiW.jpg

E4cRQ53.jpg

Another grocery store? Local residents will be spoiled for choice, with Sobey's across the tracks in City Place, the massive Loblaws under construction at Bathurst & Lakeshore and whatever ends up replacing Whole Foods in Minto Westside, not to mention another Loblaws 3 blocks north at Queen & Portland

And yet none of these are easy walking distance from the heart of King West, i.e. Spadina to University, Queen to Wellington. That area is underserved, with only the Rabba, Independent CityMarket, Longo's in Maple Leaf Square, and then longer walks or transit rides to the stores you mention. I did hear rumours of potential grocery store in Plaza's 400 King St. W. (former MEC) but who knows. I think grocery would do well at The Well.

And yet none of these are easy walking distance from the heart of King West, i.e. Spadina to University, Queen to Wellington. That area is underserved, with only the Rabba, Independent CityMarket, Longo's in Maple Leaf Square, and then longer walks or transit rides to the stores you mention. I did hear rumours of potential grocery store in Plaza's 400 King St. W. (former MEC) but who knows. I think grocery would do well at The Well.
The developments in the area you mentioned tend to be in smaller plots than The Well, Minto Westside, etc., making it impossible to fit in a full-sized grocery store

There was a large discussion about that a little while ago - dirt is actually big business, nobody wants it, which means people will pay to dump it on your property, to the tune of a couple hundred bucks a load. It's also relatively unregulated - meaning there is a lot of shady dealings in it.

The only real large consumer of dirt is subdivision builders.

As to exactly where this is going, only the guys driving the trucks know. Probably a lot of different places.
Feels like there was a missed opportunity to build the oft-talked about Humber Bay Islands.

Completely agree with this! Granted, there is china town nearby, but a big chain grocery store would be great in the area. Even Longo's in Maple Leaf Square is too far for those with a granny cart and no car lol.

Love to know how many metric tonnes of soil will have been taken out of here once the excavation is done. No doubt they'd have a precise figure.

Back