You're kidding, right?

Mirvish Village is 1000x better than this development even aspires to be. The two cant even be compared.

From an aesthetic point of view, I prefer the looks of Time and Space over Mirvish Village
I definitely don't see one as being much better than the other though, they look as similar quality.

dsc_0306_pc-jpg.497566

dsc_0305_pc-jpg.497565

img_3539-jpeg.495512
img_3540-jpeg.495513

Last edited:
Mirvish breaks up the volumes better than Time and Space, Mirvish is also smaller overall and has the benefit of the retained heritage element to work with. I will say I'm not overly enamoured with the cladding at Mirvish though, very monotonous and cheap looking in some instances. T&S ain't better in that regard though.

Mirvish breaks up the volumes better than Time and Space, Mirvish is also smaller overall and has the benefit of the retained heritage element to work with. I will say I'm not overly enamoured with the cladding at Mirvish though, very monotonous and cheap looking in some instances. T&S ain't better in that regard though.
Those Mirvish highrises look like the design was shamefully copied from 50 years old apartment buildings.

So this is a fair enough comment, but it doesn't come across like the two are miles apart.

If you read the comments in the Mirvish thread compared to this one, you would think we're comparing The One to something by Concord Adex.

From an aesthetic point of view, I prefer the looks of Time and Space over Mirvish Village
I definitely don't see one as being much better than the other though, they look as similar quality.

I've always found the aggressive vitriol aimed at Time & Space compared to the heaps of praise piled on Mirvish Village to be absurd and baffling. The latter addresses most things in a more successful way but not massively so. Time & Space isn't as finely grained as Mirvish but they did do it. That's more than I can say for 90% of Toronto builds. The materials on Time & Space aren't as good as Mirvish but it's still better than 70% of the cladding on Toronto builds. As mentioned, Mirvish benefited from the existence of heritage buildings and has significant pedestrian zones, but beyond that, they're not as different as some make them out to be.

Many people adore pencil towers while having a strong aversion to anything that's squat. They were always going to hate Time & Space regardless of what got built. The irony is that Mirvish-Village is just as squat as this build.

The design certainly has elements of mid-century apartments, which to my eyes are more attractive than the window wall junk that makes up most contemporary condo architecture.

This one of the reasons I like it so much, plus I love density and this gives that area such a dense feel.

Mirvish is far less of a clunker, I think that's why T&S gets a lot of hate, including from me. It's a bit of a graceless pile, materials are average at best and the street level leaves a lot to be desired. It also forcefully inserts itself into our "old town" area which, if it were up to me, would disallow anything that's not red brick and contextual.

I would have appreciated something more akin to the surrounding blocks. Those buildings are generally much better scaled and look a lot nicer as well.

This development just overwhelms the whole block and surrounding area with nothing to break it up on three sides. I suppose future proposals nearby will help with blending it in.

Back