Without reciting ad nauseum all that is wrong w/this development and the courtyard layout; it (the courtyard) really would benefit from relief from the black/white, 'cool' motif. Simply using old-style red brick for the ground treatment and warm wood for the seating would do wonders.

In the unlikely event the trees are successful, I think the number is excessive and will have an already dark space in perpetual shade.

I can't say the planter arrangement makes any sense to me either, other than in 'shaping' a pathway of sorts.

There's no focal point, or gathering space, nothing that would be inviting per se.

If you are going for more of an Allee/plants as art gallery vibe, I still think the shape and arrangement is incorrect and the material palette is simply cheap and disposable. Sigh.

Last edited:
I could swear that at some point, an children's play structure was a promised amenity in the courtyard. Maybe I'm wrong. But it wouldn't exactly fit in anyways.

November 1, 2023:

IMG_0787.jpeg
IMG_0788.jpeg
IMG_0789.jpeg

That meh courtyard is a disappointment, but not unexpected. I'm pretty sure those trees all died before they went dormant for the winter. The leaves on the trees along Princess turned red and fell off. The leaves on the trees in the courtyard turned crispy brown and stuck there. Spring will reveal the truth, I guess.

The only consolation prize I want from having to live next to this construction site for so many years is all those nice wide sidewalks to open up, and some sort of useful retail to appear (ie. food or grocery not weird high-end furniture stores nobody ever goes into).

That meh courtyard is a disappointment, but not unexpected. I'm pretty sure those trees all died before they went dormant for the winter. The leaves on the trees along Princess turned red and fell off. The leaves on the trees in the courtyard turned crispy brown and stuck there. Spring will reveal the truth, I guess.

The only consolation prize I want from having to live next to this construction site for so many years is all those nice wide sidewalks to open up, and some sort of useful retail to appear (ie. food or grocery not weird high-end furniture stores nobody ever goes into).
You have heard of useful (or any) retail?

You have heard of useful (or any) retail?
No, sorry if I gave that impression, I'm just projecting my hope. I notice the same brokerage (https://thebehargroup.com/) is managing the retail in this building and 158 Front St. on the northwest corner of Front and Sherbourne. They did land a Cob's bakery there, so maybe there's some hope.

...I mean, that's a Strada/"Design" Haus level of thought that went into the cladding there. That is to say, it likely only makes sense to the eyes of the developer who wanted to be "creative" with the value of cheapness. /sigh

Back