Does anyone have a pic of them on !

I came across this photo quite by accident a few days ago. NPS looking south, 1966, before the Sheraton was built

NPS_1966.jpg

dt, this photo would have come from my blog, No Mean City.
http://www.nomeancity.net/viljo-revell-frank-gehry-and-city-hall-slideshow/
It's by Hugh Robertson, and it's from the archives of Dominion Modern.

The water fountains at City Hall are some of the best in the city. (as is the one at Dundas Square)

Sorry, I meant the drinking fountains. (good water pressure and cool water) Half the drinking fountains in this city, don't work at all, so it's nice to see some that are working well. (for now)

The water in public fountains comes from the same pipes that supply potable water to homes and businesses. What's the problem?

I haven't used a public drinking fountain downtown ever since I watched a homeless man bathe his feet in one. It's not the pipes that are the issue.

In related news, Ford came back from Edmonton in love with their City Hall fountain:

b90a44e1430a9c30afc3539e8a04.jpg

I'm sure it's much too late to change plans for whatever was planned -- and under construction -- but this would be a fantastic fit for the NPS fountain. These jets mimic the Freedom Arches and I've always thought that it was a bit disappointing that people were discouraged from using the reflecting pool during the summer months.

I love Crown Fountain in Chicago:
[video=youtube;NziRaGxI8Ow]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NziRaGxI8Ow[/video]

The water is shallow, under an inch deep so it gives you the impression of walking on water. It's really cool and very well used by tourists and locals alike.

Last edited:
I've never seen fountains next to the stage in the plans but having seen the above work develop, I'm becoming convinced that those are indeed a water feature. There is some sort of plumbing into some of the boxes and it looks like they're beginning to waterproof it.

I always thought the the space between the stage and new concession building was supposed to have some trees.

Are they tree cells plus irrigation?

dt, this photo would have come from my blog, No Mean City.
http://www.nomeancity.net/viljo-revell-frank-gehry-and-city-hall-slideshow/
It's by Hugh Robertson, and it's from the archives of Dominion Modern.

Looks like a great blog, I'm looking forward to poking around it tomorrow :). I snagged the photo from a Facebook group, I think it was put up on the 'Vintage Toronto' group.

b90a44e1430a9c30afc3539e8a04.jpg

I'm sure it's much too late to change plans for whatever was planned -- and under construction -- but this would be a fantastic fit for the NPS fountain. These jets mimic the Freedom Arches and I've always thought that it was a bit disappointing that people were discouraged from using the reflecting pool during the summer months.

Yes!!! I always think that too, a more interactive water feature in the summer months. All it would take would be a little less water, a rough surface applied to the top of the concrete to help prevent slipping and then blue paint every few years to make the water look clean.

Last edited:
Are they tree cells plus irrigation?

Actually, it's not what I thought at all. I was looking at them backwards. Those boxes will be filled in with cement and will become the support columns on top of which the concrete square tiles will lay. The piping around some of the boxes is probably just electricity conduits.

This part of the square will be bare with only 2 trees further back up against the elevated walkway.

Regarding the square blocks that make up the surface of the square, I wish they would add some variation to prevent the square from appearing so monochromatic. It's such a large expanse of the same "cement grey" that I think a bit of variety in the colour of the blocks would help a lot. The blocks are made up of squares and narrow rectangles. If those rectangles were replaced with a darker shade of grey -- perhaps granite -- it would create a nice pattern and break up the monotony of the square.

Another thing that I'd like to see almost came true (and still might): cladding the walls of the elevated walkways with the grooved tiles that are being used on the new buildings (the skate rental/snacks building and the stage). The South-East entrance building is the last item to be addressed in 2014. It will be reclad in these tiles to make it look like the rest of the new buildings so it's entirely possible that the walkways could be added to the recladding work.

What I find interesting is that the current city hall opened in 1965. The old city hall opened in 1899. The old, old city hall (see St. Lawrence Hall and Market) opened in 1850. So every 50 years (usually plus), a new city hall is built.

Today, instead of planning and constructing a new city hall, the city is renovating the current one. Hopefully, once it is finished, it will last another 50 years before we will have to either build a newer city hall or go through another renovation.

Back