The "Toronto sign" has overstayed its welcome. Keeping it in NPS personifies all that is wrong with its so-called revitalization. It's the public realm equivalent of a hoodie...it might be popular, but it doesn't make it any less embarrassingly unimaginative.

By all means....go to NPS to check out the fabulous sculpture there...it's called The Archer.

Meh, The Archer is underwhelming when compared to the Toronto sign.

Im quite fine with a hoodie, especially if it brings more people to NPS. (Though you can find me wearing a hoodie 90% of the time)

Metroman said it all. The sea of concrete, the ugly ramp, the Bay Street fence. After the huge cost overrun and delay, the entire project is a colossal failure. Nobody in the world would come to the square and be impressed by its beauty and design. It was an unattractive, uninviting third class public square and it still is.

The "Toronto sign" has overstayed its welcome. Keeping it in NPS personifies all that is wrong with its so-called revitalization. It's the public realm equivalent of a hoodie...it might be popular, but it doesn't make it any less embarrassingly unimaginative.

By all means....go to NPS to check out the fabulous sculpture there...it's called The Archer.

The Toronto sign wasn't part of the square's revitalization, it was introduced during the Panams. Its success has been a happy accident. Don't knock it.

Taste is entirely subjective. Let's not get all pretentious here.

Matters such as quality and connoisseurship are not "entirely subjective" at all. And to be precise, I'm being elitist...not pretentious. As in I think some people are better at things than other people.

What you do is at least partly informed by your audience, so the level of connoisseurship of the audience affects the output of the creator. Sensibilities are important, and if you lack the context of a certain sensibility, then you end up with people thinking the Toronto sign is cool and The Archer is meh.

The Archer would be so cool if it was a sign lit up with various colours. I can see it now: THE ARCHER.

Actually that's stupid. On second thought, just leave the TORONTO sign alone as it helps to brand our City in photographs all over the world now. Now that's cool! And one can take a selfie with it; elitists included.

Back