The new structure fits in quite nicely. Not overpowering, just sitting there in the background.

npsjly29.jpg

Agreed androiduk, wonderful use of quality materials too. The beveled stone looks great upon close inspection. Not a great shot but I only had my 55-300mm lens on me.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Construction seems to have picked up significantly with work ongoing on finishing the skating pavilion, and heavy machinery simultaneously working on the new stage and the peace garden.

It would be wishful thinking to imagine that the stage will be ready for this year's New Year's Eve but while it is possible to finish the stage in 4 months, if construction on the skating pavilion is any indication, work will slow down to a halt in the winter.

Good grief, why didn't I think of going up to the walkway! Great shot, as always androiduk! This was worth the wait and it's not even complete yet.
NPS is going to look great come fall of next year. Too bad about the visitor centre at Queen & Bay, that entrance madly needs some TLC and is a perfect spot to welcome out-of-towners.

dt, you'll probably be as happy as I was to know that while the existing entrance is remaining, it's going to be clad in the same materials as the skate pavilion so it will essentially be a new addition to the front of the square and will match the rest of the renovation.

dt, you'll probably be as happy as I was to know that while the existing entrance is remaining, it's going to be clad in the same materials as the skate pavilion so it will essentially be a new addition to the front of the square and will match the rest of the renovation.

Woo-hoo! Great news, thanks for the info.

The restaurant is supposed to go under construction soon, and open next fall.

Link to the new dataBase listing for this project.

Is the restaurant not happening? I forget.

According to Krystan Wong-Tam, it survived the budget reconsideration and will go ahead. The only casualty was the info booth on the Queen St. forecourt. It would have been a 2 story glass pavilion with elevator access to the walkways above as well as the existing elevator access to the parking garage below. The existing entrance will remain but will be reclad in the materials used on the skating pavilion: faux stone, wood panelling and glass. Elevator access to the walkways is still provided at the skating pavilion.

rooftop glass railing

Fritted glass is being attached on the top part of pavilion, right on the stone veneer. the glass is high enough to act as a waist-high barrier on the rooftop. sorry no pics, but you are going to trust me when I say it looks really nice.

queer_central: thanks for directing our attention back to the actual topic at hand here... And thanks for posting the pic.

I'm beginning to really like the look of this new structure: the wood really warms up the space and I like the textured concrete. I wonder if the glass they're using for the balcony panels here will be the same glass in use in various other elements of the square -- ie in the renewal of the various walkways etc. My recollection is that some of the concrete sides of the walkways will be replaced by glass, and so perhaps they will be using this same glass? At any rate, looking good...

- J.

I wonder why there is no inclosed area on the roof, for the colder months? It should have been larger and provide seating.

Back