I'm beginning to really like the look of this new structure: the wood really warms up the space and I like the textured concrete.

- J.

The pictures posted here are fantastic, but it looks even better in person and when you see the scale of it contrasted against the Square and reflecting pool, it's very dramatic. I hope the stage is done well too.

That glass around the roof of the new building should also be the same glass that will replace much of the concrete on the elevated walkway. Good choice.

`
npa21.jpg

That glass around the roof of the new building should also be the same glass that will replace much of the concrete on the elevated walkway. Good choice.

I'm trying to find some renders of this, but I wasn't entirely aware that they were replacing the concrete on the elevated walkway as well. Is this going to be on both sides, or just the square side of the walkways, and what's the full extent of the replacement?

I'm trying to find some renders of this, but I wasn't entirely aware that they were replacing the concrete on the elevated walkway as well. Is this going to be on both sides, or just the square side of the walkways, and what's the full extent of the replacement?

I'm not sure to what extent the concrete walls will be replaced, but as you can see in the render below, there will be glass. Christopher Hume suggested doing something like this in an article a few years ago as a way of opening up the square to the surrounding area. He argues the original walkway, while fun, acted as a Gardiner-like barrier.

npspai_walkway2_6.jpg

Last edited:
I can see my email to the city regarding those breath taking chained link fence pieces at the bases of the arches was useless. What other major city would allow this in such a prominent space? They're not even a decent preventative measure. They don't really deter anyone from climbing the arches. If I lived close by I'd remove them myself during the very early morning hours. All that is needed is a getaway pickup truck parked at Elizabeth & Hagerman and and an extra pair of hands.

It's still over a year away from completion, I think what's been done so far is very positive and there's much more to come. I'm mixed over the glass panels on the raised walkways though.

Homelessness may be off topic, but tonight's Jack Layton NPS memorial needn't be. (Well, it demonstrated the virtues of a clean-slate, no-peace-garden NPS, as well as the usefulness of those, uh, horrid horrid dreadful horrid blank concrete surfaces as a chalk message-board canvas...)

^^ I'd be happy if the wall was left that way. It could be made into a tourist attraction - a wall of memorial for significant Canadians. But I'm sure by the end of the week all the messages will be erased, whether by staff or rain.

why cant they extend the planters with floors/levels..... ugh its hard to describe....... climbing partway up the arches instead of the fences...... if anyone understands what im saying... maybe they can explain it better.....

The heartfelt messages which adorn the concrete wall are an interesting and memorable adaption of a familiar form. It's also a good example of something Revell probably didn't 'plan' for, but is nonetheless something which is surely 'meant to be.'

The glacial pace of this revitalization has bugged me as much as anyone else, but finally I went through the square yesterday to leave an inscription for Jack, and I left impressed with what is happening.

- The new skate rental/snack bar is a fashion statement in itself while the old one, now gone, was always an eyesore. I echo some reservations of other commentators about the wooden inserts, which are things of beauty, but vulnerable to vandals.

- It's great to see the Peace Garden moved off to the west side and to see an open vista where there should always have been an open vista.

- Looking forward to the Queen frontage being addressed, the new permanent stage, and the entrance pavilion at Queen/Bay. The wrap up is hopefully in 2012 as planned.

- Can anyone tell me if the new, trippy lighting and additional fountains are still part of this project?

A great project, long overdue. The City of Toronto administration has a history of treating this square like dog barf, and I hope that practice just stops, as this is one of the world's great squares.

Back