I too am loving the sign. The changing LED's also allow the sign to reflect different events. It can be red and white for Canada Day, red and green for Christmas and orange for Halloween. Lots of possibilities. I just hope it won't get tagged or something.

Nathan Phillips Square by Marcus Mitanis, on Flickr

The photo of the sign reflecting on the water while lit up with city hall in the background already feels like an iconic Toronto image. Like the skyline view from Polson pier.

I think there should be other items. Snowglobes with that Toronto sign. Keychains. I'd love a keychain that looks like the sign.

The photo of the sign reflecting on the water while lit up with city hall in the background already feels like an iconic Toronto image. Like the skyline view from Polson pier.

Totally agree. However, I highly doubt that they'll last 15 years as advertised if they're kept as something that the public can interact with. They're flimsy and noticeably built to be temporary.

Given their popularity, I hope this inspires someone on city council to propose that we build permanent TORONTO letters on that spot. Further spending for the Nathan Phillips Square revitalization is coming up for a vote after the PanAm Games so that'll be a great opportunity to discuss this.

Totally agree. However, I highly doubt that they'll last 15 years as advertised if they're kept as something that the public can interact with. They're flimsy and noticeably built to be temporary.

Given their popularity, I hope this inspires someone on city council to propose that we build permanent TORONTO letters on that spot. Further spending for the Nathan Phillips Square revitalization is coming up for a vote after the PanAm Games so that'll be a great opportunity to discuss this.

Definitely agree. We should probably prod some council members on twitter, everyone seems to really enjoy the sign.

I think it would be better if they were on the ground so people can climb on them and take photos next to it.

I know people are climbing on them now… but they're not that sturdy. If they're going to be used as climbing apparatus in the long term, they'll need to build tougher versions of them.

Very nice! I remember mentioning on here some time ago that we should make similar signs like the one in Amsterdam and put them around the city. Would help with branding. Amsterdam has all them all over the city including at the airport. Don't know where we would put such a sign at Pearson. There's no public square there.

Very nice! I remember mentioning on here some time ago that we should make similar signs like the one in Amsterdam and put them around the city. Would help with branding. Amsterdam has all them all over the city including at the airport. Don't know where we would put such a sign at Pearson. There's no public square there.

Easy, one obvious place is the access ramps to the pickup/drop off by T1 (The inukshuk is there right now, but there is enough space for both). You can also adapt the design and have other variants (e.g. vertically arranged lettering - almost like an instantly recognizable Toronto Totem) using the same design vocabulary

AoD

I think it would be better if they were on the ground so people can climb on them and take photos next to it.

Totally agree. It's the selfie generation now, so having the sign up in the air doesn't have the same effect as animating an area at ground level with tons of people taking selfies with it. More whimsical and quirky monuments around the city, like the upcoming reno'd fountain of dogs spraying water out of their mouths at Berczy Park, will help to promote the selfie epidemic.

Wow! What A Transformation! It's Awesome! I Love it!...See if they really want to finish it fast they really can do it.... a little idea of suggestion if i may, would it not be great if they put some garden decoratives like stone pagoda and/or buddha? just saying ... ;) and if they can plant boxwood around the grass with those big trees on Queen Street forecourt so people won't step on the grass.

Last edited:

Back