It turns out, a councillor I speak with often and agree with on many issues is now on the inside of Rob Ford's clique. Michael Thompson says Nathan Philips Square is safe. Ford's not touching any of it.

That's terrific news!
The 2010 Cavalcade of Lights will take place tomorrow only with the lighting of the Square at 7pm, then live music followed by the fireworks display at 8pm and skating. I haven't been by recently so I don't know the status of the reflecting pool/skating area, hopefully they are on track and the job was completed today.

Because he can't. Contracts are tendered, and things are paid for. It's too late for it, or he would have stopped it before it started, had it not started already.

Not true. $12M x 2 still needs to come out of the 2011 and 2012 budgets. He could have easily made it a target and let only what has been paid for go ahead. Anyway, I trust what Thompson said and we'll hopefully see work keep going full steam ahead.

Yes, but the people doing the work have had contracts signed, etc. To back out would be a huge loss of money to the city.

Don't know, I was just watching it on CP24. The square was packed though, probably less of a turnout than last year since the square is still a mess.

`
npsn28.jpg

Don't know, I was just watching it on CP24. The square was packed though, probably less of a turnout than last year since the square is still a mess.

The square was pretty crowded, and the rink absolutely packed for the first hour or so. We skated around idiots in shoes until they cleared off. It was a pretty good night.
-AmJ

there was a pretty big crowd skating tonight as well.....nice that they were able to keep it open....

Hahaha, Hey give Mr. Mayor 4 years running The Big Smoke and he will be thinner and wont have that double chin...look what happened to David Miller.

OT = Actually Miller gained a lot of weight in the first few years. I think him losing it was more from a concerted effort to do so than it being a side effect of him being mayor.

AoD

I dont know about that..i think being the head of a government is a pretty stressfull job, and stress levels are another factor that can cause weight to fluctuate. ...look at Stephen Harper lately.

I read somewhere that Miller actually did make a concerted effort to drop tonage by cutting out carbs virtually altogether. I don't doubt Ford will have a stressful job and hopefully he can lose enough to get healthy. Not holding my breath though after seeing a recent photo of him holding a poutine...

Back