The festival space at Hanlan's Point has been scrapped:

'Scrapped' is an intriguing word.

To be clear, most of the Masterplan; (cough, wish list) is unfunded and will not happen and never would have happened, money would have to rain.

I expect essential SOGR to eat almost every existing dollar allocated to the project, and a few million on top.

I don't know how much of the rest you'll see. If I had to guess, the TRCA project; one signature naturalization site; winterized/replaced washrooms, some Ferry Dock enhancements and maybe 1 or 2 other items.

The rest is unlikely to happen, at least before there's a Masterplan refresh for the consultant enrichment program. No money.

** One big thing is likely that's not in the plan, something will happen w/the Billy Bishop site. To be clear, please lets not rehash whether there will or will not, should or should not be an airport there. What I'm saying is simply this; whether it stays or goes, the site will evolve, discussions are underway. Here I am speaking of an evolution that will modify the current park area, and likely grow it.

Last edited:
So this Plan came before the City's Design Review Panel last week.

Link:

Slides and notes from the above:

There were really no slides worth sharing.

The presentation, much as with the plan came across as utterly aimless and non-specific from my perspective.

The panel was far kinder than I am; and I frankly can't work out that disconnect. There really is no 'there' there.

I was out at the island - the erosion between the new, restored beach and the diminished Hanlan's has gotten much worse. Is there any intention of the City or TRCA to continue the restoration of the south shore of the island? I've looked online but cant find anyhting... Maybe the plan is for the new beach to gradually erode westward?

I was out at the island - the erosion between the new, restored beach and the diminished Hanlan's has gotten much worse. Is there any intention of the City or TRCA to continue the restoration of the south shore of the island? I've looked online but cant find anyhting... Maybe the plan is for the new beach to gradually erode westward?

Its covered as part of the Gilbralter Point Erosion Control Project.

The expectation is that the Beach will lose an average of 3,000m3 of sand every year, and this will be addressed by sand management (new sand will be brought in each year) the annual date proposed was early September just ahead of the fall storm season.

1688386658652.png

1688386713217.png

The above slides are from the EA Addendum which can be found here: https://trcaca.s3.ca-central-1.amaz...re-Addendum-Detailed-Design-CLC-Materials.pdf

Its covered as part of the Gilbralter Point Erosion Control Project.

The expectation is that the Beach will lose an average of 3,000m3 of sand every year, and this will be addressed by sand management (new sand will be brought in each year) the annual date proposed was early September just ahead of the fall storm season.

View attachment 489568

The above slides are from the EA Addendum which can be found here: https://trcaca.s3.ca-central-1.amaz...re-Addendum-Detailed-Design-CLC-Materials.pdf
The area I'm concerned about is between the restored portion of Gibraltar Point and Hanlans... Immediately SSW of where the red oval is down to Gibraltar Pt... that area is in pretty rough shape since last summer.

The area I'm concerned about is between the restored portion of Gibraltar Point and Hanlans... Immediately SSW of where the red oval is down to Gibraltar Pt... that area is in pretty rough shape since last summer.

You should express that concern to the TRCA, the City or both. Ideally, include photos if you can, and a fairly precise description of the spot (GPS works, but else wise, some can't miss-it directions).

If it's not an emergency, it may take awhile to get fixed, but it will go on the to-do list.

If it is urgent, you should note that; you can go the route of 311, but I think you may find the explanation for them a bit of a challenge.

I will send you a contacts list privately.

A small portion of the 'wish list' is funded in the Capital Budget:

1705027961062.png

The above is 11.1M over the next 5 years; There is additional money thereafter for phases 2 and 3

The 10-year total allocation is just over 18M

That's real money, but far less than what is needed for the DTAH assembled wish list.

Back