Interesting idea to upzone Ward’s Island! One could even propose new infill islands to the south of The Islands as a way to allow development dense enough to defray some infrastructure costs. As well it is theoretically possible to build an airport in the Lake south of the Island and redevelop The Airport Lands. What would they do in Copenhagen?! 🇩🇰🛫🏙️

This, of course, will make some people’s heads explode! 🤯

Last edited:
I'm sure that I've seen an old article somewhere that showed plans from the 1920's to build a streetcar tunnel under the western gap, work had almost started too

Interesting idea to upzone Ward’s Island! One could even propose new infill islands to the south of The Islands as a way to allow development dense enough to defray some infrastructure costs. As well it is theoretically possible to build an airport in the Lake south of the Island and redevelop The Airport Lands. What would they do in Copenhagen?! 🇩🇰🛫🏙️

Not sure on the feasibility of this. Lake Ontario gets quite deep just past the point of Leslie St Spit. This would also require flood proofing the islands if significant infrastructure is to be built there.

1722280195811.png

^Thanks! I do see shallow water just to the southeast of The Island. I wonder how much land could be squeezed there? Anyone have contacts at the Dutch Land Reclamation Office?! 🇳🇱🌷

Not sure on the feasibility of this. Lake Ontario gets quite deep just past the point of Leslie St Spit.
Wouldn't you build at the Eastern Gap instead of off the Leslie Street spit? It can't be very deep at the Eastern Gap, as that used to be land until it got washed out in a storm. And now of course it's dredged.

Wouldn't you build at the Eastern Gap instead of off the Leslie Street spit? It can't be very deep at the Eastern Gap, as that used to be land until it got washed out in a storm. And now of course it's dredged.
Then we'd have to rename it back to the Toronto Peninsula instead of the Toronto Island lol

Wait...don't we already have an undeveloped, infill peninsula, just to the east of The Island, that's about the perfect size for a small commuter airport? *Ducks into bomb shelter with 10+ years of provisions*

Not even funny, a non-serious idea that is not remotely viable or happening; coming from a guy in Fin Tech who lacks any requisite knowledge on the subject.

There's no need for exploding heads, this has a less than zero chance of going forward.

I have explained much of this already.........

Last edited:
Wait...don't we already have an undeveloped, infill peninsula, just to the east of The Island, that's about the perfect size for a small commuter airport? *Ducks into bomb shelter with 10+ years of provisions*

As I'm sure you know, also a non-starter.

An internationally renowned bird sanctuary being but one issue.

I'm fascinated by people (not just you) thinking they can move the airport around the harbour w/o modelling out the flight paths.............

For those asking here is a nautical chart of Toronto Harbour with depths:

1722289949997.png

Taken From: https://fishing-app.gpsnauticalchar...ronto+Harbour+boating+app#13/43.6278/-79.3602

For those fancifully contemplating additions to the Islands...

Here are some things you need to account for other than Lake Depth:

1) Location of fresh water intakes for Toronto Water / Enwave.

2) Water currents and their impact on the City's ability of Toronto Harbour to exchange polluted water (there are sewer outfalls), with Lake Water.

3) Impacts of changing landforms and water currents on erosion and sediment deposit.

4) Impact on Shipping through the Eastern Gap.

5) Building anything of height while there remains an active airport with flight paths.

6) Impacts on Ferry navigation

7) Changes to size/direction of current and waves may impact flooding

8) Much of the Islands are subject to flooding and mitigating this would require taking away a large portion of the existing vegetation to regrade and augment the general height of the islands.

9) Remediation and disturbance of polluted soils and Lake Bed.

10) Delivery of services to any increased population

For a start...........

For those asking here is a nautical chart of Toronto Harbour with depths:

View attachment 584388

Taken From: https://fishing-app.gpsnauticalchar...ronto+Harbour+boating+app#13/43.6278/-79.3602

For those fancifully contemplating additions to the Islands...

Here are some things you need to account for other than Lake Depth:

1) Location of fresh water intakes for Toronto Water / Enwave.

2) Water currents and their impact on the City's ability of Toronto Harbour to exchange polluted water (there are sewer outfalls), with Lake Water.

3) Impacts of changing landforms and water currents on erosion and sediment deposit.

4) Impact on Shipping through the Eastern Gap.

5) Building anything of height while there remains an active airport with flight paths.

6) Impacts on Ferry navigation

7) Changes to size/direction of current and waves may impact flooding

8) Much of the Islands are subject to flooding and mitigating this would require taking away a large portion of the existing vegetation to regrade and augment the general height of the islands.

9) Remediation and disturbance of polluted soils and Lake Bed.

10) Delivery of services to any increased population

For a start...........
Stop poking holes in ignorant pipe dreams with your annoying facts!

I'm not well read in this area, and fear the answer is lurking ten pages back... but I will ask.... while one might not densify the island intensively, has there been analysis showing that the current development potential is maxed out?
If there is any room to add even ten more modest homes, would this not improve the economics for sunk cost fixed infrastructure eg the fire station? Is there any potential for modest infill that does not expand the overall footprint of the full time uccupants?

I'm being pragmatic, not advocating one way or the other.

- Paul

I'm not well read in this area, and fear the answer is lurking ten pages back... but I will ask.... while one might not densify the island intensively, has there been analysis showing that the current development potential is maxed out?
If there is any room to add even ten more modest homes, would this not improve the economics for sunk cost fixed infrastructure eg the fire station? Is there any potential for modest infill that does not expand the overall footprint of the full time uccupants?

- Paul

The Islanders (with homes) own the houses, but lease the lots from the Trust set up by the province. The current leases run to 2092.

Further Reading:

If you look under the provincial legislation that governs the Islands, the Trust (back in 1993) was given permission to lease up to 12 vacant lots, I assume those have since been filled.

That legislation limits the development to single-family homes.

Has there been a contemporary study on intensification by the province or the City? Not to my knowledge.

- Paul

I don't imagine there is a lot of development potential for the eastern part of the Islands - certainly not to the point of justifying the economics of services in and on its' own.

AoD

Back