News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

You can chose to stick your head in the sand if you want.

What is going on in the US is shameful.

What's going on? The democratically-elected President is following through on his campaign promises? The world will keep spinning, just like it kept spinning when Obama was in power for 8 years and Republicans said the world was going to end.

The Canadian dollar sucks. Expect more Americans and Canadians vacationing in Toronto this summer.

Kind of like the fact we can get a Trumpeter and an anti-Trump to argue on a Toronto forum about Toronto tourism.

Gabe makes a point -- weak CAD and grumpy for minorities at home? Come to Canada this summer for Pride or Caribana! City should be bopping.

The Canadian dollar sucks. Expect more Americans and Canadians vacationing in Toronto this summer.

If they let the Americans back into the United States. See link.

Muhammad Ali’s son, who bears the boxing great’s name, was detained by immigration officials at a Florida airport and questioned about his ancestry and religion in what amounted to unconstitutional profiling, a family friend said Saturday.

Ali Jr., 44, who confirmed his Muslim faith, was detained about two hours, despite telling officials that he’s Ali’s son and a native-born U.S. citizen, said Chris Mancini, a family friend and attorney.

Returning from a Black History Month event in Jamaica, Muhammad Ali Jr. and his mother, Khalilah Camacho Ali, were pulled aside and separated from each other on Feb. 7 at the immigration checkpoint at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport, said Mancini...

If people who have any intention to go to Toronto get alienated by an ad, that's some special snowflake they are. They would be even more alienated when they see all "those people" on the streets. Having a brand is better than not having one at all.

Speaking of alienating - I would look at what's happening to US tourism instead - and they don't even need a campaign for it.

AoD

Last edited:
With the loss of all these hotel rooms, where will the tourists stay? More and more condo's are banning Air BnB's. Is tourism that bad in Toronto? A city the size of Toronto does have a rather small hotel selection compared to other big cities like Chicago.

Condo developments threaten hundreds of hotel jobs, critics warn

Concerns also raised that conversions in Toronto’s red-hot housing market could hamper tourism.
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...aten-hundreds-of-hotel-jobs-critics-warn.html

Of note:

tourism-vs-other-industries-0.jpg

Those are great numbers. However, I think we need to study not just aggregate totals for economic activity related to tourism but whether people are coming back repeatedly and recommending that others visit the city. Sometimes, I try to imagine the city through a visitor's eyes. Having seen Dundas Square and the Eaton Centre and paid a lot to visit the CN Tower or ROM, would I want to come back again? Would I often think that I was getting a fantastic value while in the city or doing things that were unique and hard to find elsewhere? Would I recommend the city to all my friends?

If the answers are generally, "no", then we need to invest more into our public spaces, attractions, and funding institutions well so that they don't have to charge off putting entrance fees.

Back