News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

the CNE is definitely an attraction for locals only... just as I wouldn't friggin care to visit PNE if I was in Vancouver.

CNE should move to like downsview or something.

I've often wondered why people on here refer to it as Parc Downsview Park. It's just Downsview Park if you speak English and Parc Downsview if you speak French. When I buy a box of cereal I don't refer to it as Flacons de Mais Corn Flakes.

The gag only works when you get a proper bilingual Wheel of Fortune-style 'before and after.' Speaking of corn flakes, can you buy them at Centre Rideau Centre in Ottawa?

I've often wondered why people on here refer to it as Parc Downsview Park. It's just Downsview Park if you speak English and Parc Downsview if you speak French. When I buy a box of cereal I don't refer to it as Flacons de Mais Corn Flakes.

Because some of us like to amuse ourselves in the little silly ways. Beyond that, the development of the parc up in Downsview seems to be at something of a standstill (oops, I mean park).

I'm definitely of the opinion that CNE and Ontario Place are big failures. They've been designed like distant suburban fairgrounds with large parking lots and no consideration for integrating them with the rest of the city.

Try cycling from Harbourfront to Sunnyside beach and you'll see what I mean. It's impossible to get past Ontario Place without cycling on the road or else balancing on a ridiculously narrow, poorly-maintained and windy biking path and dodging cars and pedestrians.

There should be residential space right up to the edge of CNE grounds, and a few serious year-round draws, eg put a museum in the Better Living Centre. About half the buildings on the exhibition grounds seem to be empty for most of the year. Every time they change something on the CNE grounds the architecture becomes more of a hodge-podge and the space become more disconnected from the city and internally.

Given the location, and the beauty of existing buildings and gardens the CNE should be a year-round tourist draw, but it's very hard to get to and once you do there's nothing to do unless the Ex happens to be on.

^I agree with your comments about accessability and integration. The CNE grounds and Ontario place however are urban gems. This will become more apparent with every year that passes as the city grows. We are lucky to have such diverse flexible event spaces so accessible to the rest of the city right downtown, even if that accessibility seems at present to be so neglected by the city.

I'm definitely of the opinion that CNE and Ontario Place are big failures. They've been designed like distant suburban fairgrounds with large parking lots and no consideration for integrating them with the rest of the city.

Just curious, but just how "integrated" do you want them to both be? And is this perceived lack of "integration" your only measure for failure? In your opinion, have these sites always been failures?

Back