Can't Sheppard West be built in stages? Say, only build one of the entrances (say the west one, since that's where most of the future development will go in the near future), but leave room for the east entrance to be built later. And finish only a small part of the concourse level at first, leaving the rest of it unfinished (but roughed in) to be finished later. Because frankly, hardly anyone's going to use this station until Bombardier moves and Downsview Airport is fully redeveloped.

It seems to me that the artist that designed the station wasn't really given a briefing on what will be there in the coming years. It really looks like it was designed for the current condition rather than the future.

I'm still really shocked that there isn't an entrance (or path leading to) on Sheppard West and worst that there isn't one for the proposed E-W street within the Downsview lands development.

I'm still really shocked that there isn't an entrance (or path leading to) on Sheppard West and worst that there isn't one for the proposed E-W street within the Downsview lands development.
The GO platforms do cross to the north side of Sheppard. But from the pictures and drawings, there doesn't seem to be a way to get from the platform directly to the road. But perhaps that is part of GO's end of things.

There really is nothing on sheppard where the GO train bridge crosses over, so what is the need for access at this spot? There are pathways that go to sheppard east and west of the station, where there is still nothing, but people would be walking in from.

There really is nothing on sheppard where the GO train bridge crosses over, so what is the need for access at this spot? There are pathways that go to sheppard east and west of the station, where there is still nothing, but people would be walking in from.

Students can get off at Sheppard West from the Go train and use the subway to York University. That's my guess...

There are businesses in the industrial park on the north side of Sheppard. Although I'm sure most of the GO traffic will be changing to the subway, it does seem bizarre to have GO passengers who are walking to businesses or facilities north of Sheppard, have to walk the long-way round through the subway station, which is well south of Sheppard. I'd also assume that there would be potential redevelopment. I'd have thought that Chesswood Arenas (which can be seen in Exhibit 3) would have some GO traffic heading to it, once all-day service begins on that line ... though that would probably be better served by simply putting a footpath from the eastern platform, north to the existing parking lot.

The subway entrances as illustrated look to be no more than 20-30 feet due south of Sheppard. Not a huge walk, However the current curved path eliminates the need for steps as there is a significant grade change between Sheppard Ave and the GO tracks.

The neighbourhood planned 500m west of the station will have significant density with about 30 apartment buildings with an average height of 12 or 13 floors. It is a walkable distance. Perhaps Metro Park will start an intensification which will spread up to Rimrock to also create passengers for Sheppard West.

Last edited:
The subway entrances as illustrated look to be no more than 20-30 feet due south of Sheppard. Not a huge walk, However the current curved path eliminates the need for steps as there is a significant grade change between Sheppard Ave and the GO tracks.

Is it really that close? It doesn't look like it. Then again Wilson station is just as if not closer to Wilson street and yet it has a direct entrance off the street (however poor it is) and a crossover from the other side of the street. It just seems like a circuitous route from Sheppard W, I can just see the well worn path through the grass as people take the most direct route regardless of grade.

All the same are all riders going to be coming/going from the east and west sides of the station? Won't there be riders north of Sheppard? How about the lands to the south? A south entrance to the station could provide a vista/meeting point for the developing neighbourhood.

Anyway it's all still conceptual right now. We don't really know where the line and station will be exactly.

Is it really that close? It doesn't look like it. Then again Wilson station is just as if not closer to Wilson street and yet it has a direct entrance off the street (however poor it is) and a crossover from the other side of the street. It just seems like a circuitous route from Sheppard W, I can just see the well worn path through the grass as people take the most direct route regardless of grade.

All the same are all riders going to be coming/going from the east and west sides of the station? Won't there be riders north of Sheppard? How about the lands to the south? A south entrance to the station could provide a vista/meeting point for the developing neighbourhood.

Anyway it's all still conceptual right now. We don't really know where the line and station will be exactly.

Sheppard Station will be under a 3 track GO line dead centre. It will be about 75m from Sheppard as that area is to be use for development.

There are various knockout wall sections to connect to new development in all directions.

GO will be requested to provide a walkway across Sheppard to connect to the north side.

Public Open House will be in Nov and early 2010 for both Sheppard and York.

The way Sheppard west is designed, It seems the bus routes will just have a quick stop at the station and continue o Dowsview Station.

I think they will have a stop on Sheppard Avenue and continue to Downsview for their final stops
That would mean they pretty much do exactly what they are doing now. The closest pedestrian access from the station to Sheppard (ignoing the GO station) is the pathway that daylights at Bakersfield Street; and there is an westbound stop there already; presumably they would add an eastbound stop there, along with traffic signals.

The neighbourhood planned 500m west of the station will have significant density with about 30 apartment buildings with an average height of 12 or 13 floors. It is a walkable distance. Perhaps Metro Park will start an intensification which will spread up to Rimrock to also create passengers for Sheppard West.

Wow. Is the new neighbourhood going to be exclusively apartments? Will they be retail at street-level?

Back