I think that they replaced the existing roof structure with a new floor structure.
Interesting... I guess they already built the base with enough structural integrity to support a tower? I guess they were planning this long before they sought the approvals.

Taken 3 December.

IMG_5511.jpeg

Designed by award-winning Canadian firms Patkau Architects and MJMA Architecture & Design with consulting from Blackwell Structural Engineers and Smith+Andersen, the Academic Wood Tower’s unique and sustainable structure has already won a Canadian Architect Award of Excellence.

The same team worked on U of T’s Goldring Centre for High Performance Sport, which included the tower’s foundation and basement as part of its construction. Now, with the first deliveries of mass-timber components to the site, construction of the Academic Wood Tower is proceeding under the management of industry leader Pomerleau. The university anticipates completing the building in 2026.

Thanks for posting. Very interesting to read that the foundation for this was incorporated into the first building and that this should rise soon.

Seems to have lost its mojo in reality… /sigh

Last edited:

Back