I, for one, am very excited about this opportunity. It's a great location for a cultural centre and a museum. In terms of architecture, it could be a real gem. Libeskind should receive a mention, especially when one of his projects is right next door.

Sure but Toronto could use a full fledged planetarium, the science center has a very very small version of this. I'm sure it would do very well in Toronto, I'm surprised they don't push for that hear instead, I'd reckon it'd cost quite a bit more.

Wouldn't this be a good site for a 'Toronto' museum as well ? Isn't there a "Jewish" museum in Ottawa btw ?

Sure but Toronto could use a full fledged planetarium, the science center has a very very small version of this. I'm sure it would do very well in Toronto, I'm surprised they don't push for that hear instead, I'd reckon it'd cost quite a bit more.

Apparently not - the Alcan Planetarium in Montreal cost only around $50M.

Wouldn't this be a good site for a 'Toronto' museum as well ? Isn't there a "Jewish" museum in Ottawa btw ?

Not really - it's not a particularly meaningful site for a Toronto museum, and besides the site is owned by the University - the city has plenty more sites at its' disposal. There will be a National Holocaust Monument in Ottawa (by Libeskind), but no Canadian Jewish Museum. I think this is sounds an excellent development. Safdie might be a great fit for the site.

AoD

Tragic. news :(

The planetarium was never going to be reopened here.

Since the Science Centre will have an LRT (and maybe Relief Line subway) station at it, I'd like to see some of its parking lot redeveloped for a new planetarium.

Or put a Planetarium on the waterfront. In other words, if a group came together to get a planetarium in this city, there are plenty of decent options for its location.

Or put a Planetarium on the waterfront. In other words, if a group came together to get a planetarium in this city, there are plenty of decent options for its location.

not sure what the inner workings of a planetarium are but I have oft wondered if the cinesphere at Ontario Place could be rededicated to that purpose.....after all, the uniqueness of being an Imax place is kinda gone.

Waterfront sounds amazing; I always wished we could move the science center, I bet they'd see better #s yearly if they could be located downtown, but alas ... a subway to it would help I agree.

Just an aside which is not intended as advocacy for the status quo: If an 81 metre tower is built on the site, one of the great views of the downtown Toronto skyline, the one from the rooftop bar of the Park Hyatt, will be seriously altered.

I'll have to make a point of heading to the bar for a drink, next time I am in Toronto.

Just an aside which is not intended as advocacy for the status quo: If an 81 metre tower is built on the site, one of the great views of the downtown Toronto skyline, the one from the rooftop bar of the Park Hyatt, will be seriously altered.

I'll have to make a point of heading to the bar for a drink, next time I am in Toronto.

I doubt this museum/performance space will be anywhere near 81m tall.

I doubt this museum/performance space will be anywhere near 81m tall.

Who knows? I am only reacting to the following sentence in the front page story..."Though current zoning for the site dictates a height limit of 23 metres, the St. George Campus Master Plan calls for an 81 metre maximum height, significantly opening up development opportunities that may need to be explored for this development."

Given the amount of money that will need to be raised to finance the cultural elements, and the value of the location, I'd be pretty surprised if there wasn't some sort of residential component being considered.

Nope, I think they'll get their money : - ) yey

Well I'd still rather a planetarium here but nonetheless ..

Last edited:
I'm fine with this. I don't think there was any intention of this site to be a planetarium in the future, nor do I think it really even fits with the context any more. A planetarium elsewhere or at the Science Centre as mentioned would be more appropriate in my opinion. Years back there was a group trying to get a planetarium built at Ontario Place (I know CBC's Bob McDonald was keen on this) but I never heard anything else about it since.

It was mentioned on MetroMorning this morning by President Gertler that UofT is looking at/around 13s here.

Back