Plans completed for new student residence, community centre at Trinity College

May 29, 2020

Construction of a new residence building at Trinity College was recommended at the May 7 Planning and Budget Committee meeting. The Lawson Centre for Sustainability, a four-storey building at Trinity College, will be both a residence space and a hub for teaching and community bonding, with a focus on sustainability. The building gets its name from a $10 million donation from alumni Brian and Joannah Lawson, the highest single donation in Trinity College’s history, which will fund the building alongside investments from Trinity, fundraising, and external loans.

The current timeline anticipates that construction will begin in February 2021, and the building will be operational by spring 2023. Construction of the centre is not expected to disrupt campus activities greatly, since the site is separated from currently used buildings.

Site Plan Approval application submitted:

Development Applications

Updated project description:
Proposal for a 5-storey institutional building containing a 350-bed student residence as well as classrooms and office space. The existing Larkin Building and George Ignatieff Theatre are proposed to be retained

Last edited:
2qdwa.JPG
bebs.JPG
bdfw.JPG

Currently, I've seen those feilds being used for practicing sports and such...I assume no one minds in the faculty that those proposed buildings being plonked down there like that instead?

Last edited:
A Q&A webpage recently compiled by Trinity College on their new building. In short, it looks like they expect it to be completed in 2024:

A Ground Blessing ceremony was also held by the school on November 16, 2016 as they prepare for the upcoming construction:

...I assume other than having some owner's dog "bless" the ground. >.<

New renderings are updated in the database! Minor information is updated in the database information. The total dorm bed changed from 347 dorm beds to 346 dorm beds. The building height changed from 16.87m to 16.52m.

The rendering is taken from the architectural plan via site plan approval:

PLN - Renderings or Perspective Drawings - JUN 8  2022-3.jpg

PLN - Renderings or Perspective Drawings - JUN 8  2022-4.jpg

Back