RRR:

They should actually invite some serious graffiti artist to work on the pillars premptively.

AoD

That's a great idea -- although apparently there's going to be a 'reflective sculpture' put in somewhere, I'd suggest the skate park will not be the appropriate place.

One thing that does amuse me, though, is how rigid skatepunk 'counterculture' is about it's 'culture.' It's sort of like the beard-and-glasses 'hipsters' who look different by all looking the same...

RRR:

They should actually invite some serious graffiti artist to work on the pillars premptively.

AoD

Canada Post took a similar approach with their redesigned street letter boxes, filling every inch of "blank" space with fussy graphics. It seems an odd approach, like admitting defeat before the war begins ... and it didn't prevent graffiti.

April 07
6953450336_b1fe909ae6_b.jpg

7099521261_dc462eef2c_b.jpg

7099523073_6f67ac33fe_b.jpg

They have started work on repairing the concrete columns (something one might have thought should have been done BEFORE they did the park) and are busily cutting out all the rotten concrete (marked by orange on Drum's photos.) When finished I am told they will open the park so that one can walk between St Lawrence Street and the new Lower River Street. (BTW, St Lawrence Street is closed south of the park because Old Eastern Avenue is closed while they work on Underpass Park West and install new utilities in the area. It is supposed to reopen in the late fall.)

This from May 23 CEO Repprt

Underpass Park: The two blocks of the park that are located east of St. Lawrence are on track for public opening in July 2012. Repairs to the overpass structure are underway and will be complete prior to the park opening. Fabrication of the public art associated with this space has commenced and will be completed and ready for installation in June, 2012. Construction continues on the second phase of Underpass Park (the block west of St Lawrence Street, north of Eastern Avenue).

I think that this park will be amazing. Certainly like nothing that I have seen before.

When I was walking in the area the other day, with all the heat and humidity haha, it was so nice to walk underneath the overpasses and be in the shade. How many parks have a roof to protect you from the hot sun and rain? Its hard to explain to my friends and family right now how amazing it's going to be, but once people see the finished product, I think that it will be a hugely popular space (and hopefully one that the public keeps safe, clean, and free from graffitti!!!!)

From the WT meeting last night they mentioned everything you quote above, DSC, and just added that the second phase west of St. Lawrence St is expected to be completed by September. Trees for Phase 2 have already been individually selected and "tagged" at the nursery for future delivery and planting. I mentioned in a previous post how much I will honour these trees haha. I'm already loving the trees at Lawren Harris Square...the leaves were one of the last trees to come out this year! But they look great -- not stupid little stick trees :)

When I was walking in the area the other day, with all the heat and humidity haha, it was so nice to walk underneath the overpasses and be in the shade.
I took a walk down there on Mondayay on River Street, and I was quite surprised by how much cooler it was under the underpass. Perhaps because it had only just got hot. I'm sure I'll be testing it out with my 4-year old in July and August!

I was also glad to discover, after having walked all the way down River, and up Bayview back to Queen, that there's a temporary roadway/pathway that leads to the Humane Society Parking lot, and back to River Street near Queen. So you can tour the place, without having to double back down Bayview and River Street. Though you can probably just cut through the parking lot of the next property north without too much hassle.

From your link:

Wow, the mirrors on the underside of the expressway are quite beautiful with the reflected light. I didn't know us Torontonians were allowed such nice things in public spaces (in that we will no doubt ruin them pronto).

Lots of skaters at the skate park yesterday - the dramatic overpass probably adds to the fun. Shows that kids will use official infrastructure rather than damage public places if you give them stuff that's well-designed. Maybe the city should open official graffiti parks? Concrete slabs that are meant to be drawn on - and not sponsored murals or whatnot. Actual spaces where graffiti artists can compete with one another to create organically changing designs.

Back