Yes, they were busily planting trees and grasses last week in Underpass Park II and it looked to me as though the underground work on Old Eastern Avenue was just about finished. Next to rebuild the actual road. Originally it (and St Lawrence Street) were to reopen in September but that seems unlikely. I hope they reopen before winter as that's a very useful road and might mean they will also open up the link from Old Eastern Avenue to Lower River Street/Lawren Harris Square.
(BTW, River City1, the sidewalk on the Eastern Avenue bridge only goes eastwards (towards Broadview). No sidewalk west of the top of the walkway.

Thanks, DSC...that's good to know. Should be some nice views from up there to take photos of the WDL's and the City. Looking forward to walking along it rather than driving...haha...its so hard to take photos while driving with the short ramps and the merging traffic (nor should I be taking photos while driving lol ;) )

The second phase of Underpass Park is, as stated above, moving along and will make the entire area around the ramps much more accessible. For example, the clear pathway from Eastern to the newly open ramp to Richmond Adelaide Street above makes Riverdale seem very close. Also, because it has less area directly under the ramps and more trees it seems to make phase I less austere. Finally, Harris Square, when viewed from the beginning of Old Eastern Avenue looking east, is very inviting and almost Dutch.

IMG0340-XL.jpg

IMG0335-X2.jpg

IMG0337-XL.jpg

IMG0338-XL.jpg

IMG0341-XL.jpg

IMG0343-XL.jpg

rdaner:

Your photos for projects in the area is much appreciate. Totally agree with the statement that Phase 2 is a lot softer and less austere - the plantings made a huge difference.

AoD

Pictures taken 3 November.

IMG_1279_1-L.jpg

IMG_1281_1-L.jpg

IMG_1280_1-L.jpg

IMG_1299_1-L.jpg

IMG_1304_1-L.jpg

A most likely misplaced photo of the landform barrier being built between Underpass Park and the Don River.

IMG_1295_1-L.jpg

I really didn't appreciate how large this park is until today. Photos taken 22 March 2013.

IMG_3620_1-XL.jpg

IMG_3609_1-XL.jpg

I wonder what is planned for this space?
IMG_3622_1-XL.jpg

The woonerf is integrated seamlessly into Underpass Park and will hopefully soften what must be an awkward transition for any designer.
IMG_3633_1-XL.jpg

IMG_3636_1-XL.jpg

IMG_3635_1-X2.jpg

Thanks for hopping over the fence for us haha :p Phase 2 of UPP will be awesome. Love the large(ish) trees that they planted!

Part 2 is certainly finished but the park may not open until fall 2013. See WT CEO May Report:

The Ministry of Environment (“MOE”) recently required a separation of submission details for environmental reporting to address multiple property ownership for the park site (City and Province). As a result, the Record of Site Condition (“RSC”) which is required to open the second phase of the park is now anticipated to be issued in the fall. Waterfront Toronto is working closely with MOE to obtain an RSC as soon as possible.

Anyone know when WT will open Underpass Park 2? It has been finished for months and is awaiting electricity (from CEO Report). Having it and Old Eastern Avenue open would provide another link to Corktown Common from the St Lawrence area

Anyone know when WT will open Underpass Park 2? It has been finished for months and is awaiting electricity (from CEO Report). Having it and Old Eastern Avenue open would provide another link to Corktown Common from the St Lawrence area

Hellow??? We're actually already at the end of 2014! Not Surprised at all anymore since it's Toronto what else is new?!

The new section would be nice, but I've just been trying to get them to fix the water fountain on the ES of Lower River since the spring. I've logged it with 311 twice, but nothing.

Back