5.1K     0 

unimaginative2

Member Bio
Reaction score
How education narrowed the jobless gap between Quebec, Ontario
KONRAD YAKABUSKI

Globe and Mail Update

July 12, 2007 at 7:09 AM EDT

MONTREAL — There are some things you just know you'll never live to see.

Like Paris Hilton winning a Nobel Prize. In Physics. Or Stephen Harper as grand marshal in the Pride parade. In drag. And somehow, you're okay with that because it suggests a certain order to the universe.

Then, just like that, the world turns upside down and you're no longer sure of anything.

On Friday, Statistics Canada reported that the unemployment rate in Toronto, Canada's supposedly solid financial centre, surpassed the jobless level in Montreal, Canada's proverbial second city. No one even remembers the last time that happened, if it ever did.

In June, the jobless rate stood at 6.5 per cent in Montreal, compared with 6.9 per cent in Toronto. A year ago, Montreal's unemployment rate was almost 40 per cent higher than Toronto's - 8.5 per cent compared with 6.2 per cent.

Now go back 20 years, and the turnaround in Montreal's labour market is amazing. In June, 1987, the city's jobless rate was 10.2 per cent, while Toronto's was a comfortable 5.2 per cent. Even at the height of the last great boom, in the summer of 1988, Montreal still struggled with unemployment at 9.2 per cent, almost three times the 3.2-per-cent rate in Toronto.

Sure, Statscan uses a three-month moving average and smaller sample size to track unemployment in major cities, so there is a greater margin of error than with the national and provincial numbers. So what do the latter show? The same narrowing trend.

In fact, with unemployment at 6.5 per cent in Ontario and 6.9 per cent in Quebec in June, the labour markets of the two provinces have never been so in sync. That's obviously better news for Quebec than for its neighbour.

In 1977, for instance, unemployment in Ontario stood at 6 per cent. In Quebec, it exceeded 11 per cent. That five-percentage-point gap has, with some variation over the economic cycle, been shrinking steadily ever since.

This flies in the face of almost every economist's prediction that higher taxes, higher rates of unionization, a higher minimum wage (as a percentage of the average manufacturing wage) and a higher regulatory burden would serve as a brake on job growth and condemn Quebec to chronic double-digit rates of unemployment.

Of course, part of Quebec's most recent spurt in job growth is due to good 'ol politicking. Premier Jean Charest rushed to disburse a pay equity settlement with public sector workers smack dab during the March election campaign, putting $1.8-billion into the pockets of consumers, which has led to lineups at the cash register as women shoppers - the pay equity beneficiaries are all female - blow their windfall on kitchen renovations and summer outfits. Stores are hiring like crazy, offsetting the devastating impact of the near-parity CanBuck on export-dependent manufacturing jobs.

Still, the short-term boost from pay equity payouts doesn't account for the steadily shrinking unemployment gap between Canada's two biggest provinces. That phenomenon is decades in the making.

So what's behind it? The short answer is education. Four decades ago, fewer than half of working age Quebeckers had a high school diploma. Today, post-Quiet Revolution Quebeckers are among the best educated Canadians. In fact, in 2006, fully 69 per cent of Quebeckers between the ages of 25 and 44 had either a college or university degree, compared with 65 per cent of Ontarians, according to recent study by Université du Québec à Montréal economist Pierre Fortin.

The impact of higher education levels is borne out in the employment rate, or the percentage of Quebeckers of working age who have jobs. It stood at an all-time high of 61.1 per cent in June, within striking distance of Ontario's rate of 63.5 per cent.

Prof. Fortin notes that the employment rate among those between 25 and 54 - the age group that covers those who've finished schooling but haven't yet been tempted by early retirement - has actually converged in the two provinces, at about 80 per cent.

An aging population promises an even tighter labour market in Quebec in coming years, as the number of people entering the work force falls below the number leaving it. Eventually, though, demographic decline - and the slower economic growth it entails - could cancel out many of the gains Quebec's job market has made in recent years.

Still, there's no denying Quebec's labour market its due: It's come a long way, bébé.

kyakabuski@globeandmail.com

Good time for Toronto to start raising all kinds of taxes. That helped raise unemployment in Montreal when its rates were already high.

it's funny how that Quebec the 2nd biggest province is recieving more money for residents than both the biigest province in Canada and the smaller ones! Look at all thos Ontario cities who are in the negatives, and lookk at thos Quebec cities in the positives. It sure shows you who is the favoured province in Canada. I just wish Quebec would leave this country already so we can prosper without all that extra un-needed sepretists who are draining other people's tax dollars and lowering their quality of life to please this fucking queckers. I'm sorry but its this kind of thing that really pisses me off!

This thread has degenerated even faster than usual it seems. If this is what is happening during the lazy days of summer when people are usually more calm and subdued it should be great fun to watch people turn red in the face during the next political season.

While I certainly wouldn't go as far as b13, the point about the imbalance of transfer payments is very well taken. Quebec is consistently favoured by politicians pandering for votes. It's why the Reform Party was started, and why many of the Conservative Party's initially ardent supporters from the Reform wing are so disappointed wiht their pandering to Quebec.
Plus ca change...

While I certainly wouldn't go as far as b13, the point about the imbalance of transfer payments is very well taken. Quebec is consistently favoured by politicians pandering for votes. It's why the Reform Party was started, and why many of the Conservative Party's initially ardent supporters from the Reform wing are so disappointed wiht their pandering to Quebec.
Plus ca change...

And people should be angry about pandering and bribery and political interference in Quebec by Federal politicians. Except that only in rare cases is it ever taken out on the federal politicians that acted in undemocratic ways and is more often than not directed at Quebeckers who also for the most part find this kind of practice to be total nonesense. That is why the Liberals were almost defeated in the last provincial election. That is why the same problems that existed in the 70's basically still exist today. The federal government has only ever thrown money at Quebec instead of addressing the more difficult and long standing constitutional greivences.

But as long as people blame Quebec and tell them to get the fuck out while failing to punish federal governments who stand in the way of if it actually happening the familiar track will continue to be played in an infinite loop.

Mais, c'est la vie. At least it can provide for some good laughs and entertainment.

Great news for Montreal. The title of this article seems somewhat misleading, though:

How education narrowed the jobless gap between Quebec, Ontario

This is not explained - there is no "how" presented in the article, only a pronouncement that this is the case. It seems generally commonsensical that higher rates of education would lead to lower unemployment and higher wages, but what proof is there that this is the key factor in this particular case? The article offers nothing in the way of evidence of this - many factors can affect employment rates. Are we necessarily looking at causality here, or mere correlation?

The impact of higher education levels is borne out in the employment rate

If you say so, I guess.

Though regardless of cause, it's obviously a positive development.

And people should be angry about pandering and bribery and political interference in Quebec by Federal politicians. Except that only in rare cases is it ever taken out on the federal politicians that acted in undemocratic ways and is more often than not directed at Quebeckers who also for the most part find this kind of practice to be total nonesense. That is why the Liberals were almost defeated in the last provincial election. That is why the same problems that existed in the 70's basically still exist today. The federal government has only ever thrown money at Quebec instead of addressing the more difficult and long standing constitutional greivences.

But as long as people blame Quebec and tell them to get the fuck out while failing to punish federal governments who stand in the way of if it actually happening the familiar track will continue to be played in an infinite loop.

Mais, c'est la vie. At least it can provide for some good laughs and entertainment.

The sponsorship scandal in Quebec and the negative reaction by Quebeckers was not based on an antipathy towards the Feds throwing money at Quebec. Rather, it was based on the fact that the money went to party hacks, rather than to the Quebec population.
I am not anti-Quebec, I am simply a frustrated Torontonian who sees so much being sucked out of our city for political, partisan purposes.

^That wasn't the only problem with article. The opening line...

Like Paris Hilton winning a Nobel Prize. In Physics. Or Stephen Harper as grand marshal in the Pride parade. In drag. And somehow, you're okay with that because it suggests a certain order to the universe.

...really is not necessary and aside from being unoriginal really doesn't set a professional tone.

Same with the following line...

putting $1.8-billion into the pockets of consumers, which has led to lineups at the cash register as women shoppers - the pay equity beneficiaries are all female - blow their windfall on kitchen renovations and summer outfits.

...which is a totally pointless and sexist statement.

And then there is this sentence...

Stores are hiring like crazy, offsetting the devastating impact of the near-parity CanBuck on export-dependent manufacturing jobs.

...which really lacks the basic information to be of any use. If the jobs being created are low wage, part time, low benefit jobs, which most retail jobs are, then that is hardly going to offset the lose of manufacturing. Same with the rest of article is true. Just because unemployment is down is not in itself a sign that everything is super for Quebec.

Hopefully that was a web only update and was not actually printed in the paper. I do hope that Montreal is doing as well as the writer seems to think it is and it is in much better shape than even 5 years ago let alone 10 or 15 years ago. But Montreal still has some work ahead before it is performing at the same level as Toronto.

Edit:

The sponsorship scandal in Quebec and the negative reaction by Quebeckers was not based on an antipathy towards the Feds throwing money at Quebec. Rather, it was based on the fact that the money went to party hacks, rather than to the Quebec population.
I am not anti-Quebec, I am simply a frustrated Torontonian who sees so much being sucked out of our city for political, partisan purposes.

I wasn't refering to the sponsorship scandal which I agree was about party hacks and little else (though there still were Canadians who used it as another opportunity to label Quebecers as crooks). And the PLQ decline in the last election was in large part because of their 11th hour deal with Harper for what they called 'equalization payments' or some nonsense like that which only ended up becoming tax cuts in Charests election campaign. The sponsorship scandal played little part in the last Quebec election.

And I can understand why Ontarians and Torontonians get upset over equalization and other related issues. And though not all the time, but often enough, people blame Quebec and Quebecers for stealing their money and direct their anger at them instead of at the Ontario governments who don't stand up for the province or the federal governments who are responsible for the bribery. If the federal government gave Quebec more political and fiscal autonomy in exchange for Quebec giving up its participation in equalization and incurring a proper portion of its debt then the rest of Canada wouldn't have to worry about their tax dollars going to these freeloaders. But for some reason, even though a large part of the population resents Quebec for receiving the money it does, won't discuss that option or punish those in the federal government who are responsible for what in many cases are most likely unjust and unfair transfer payments.

I hope you realize that Montreal, like every other big city in Canada, contributes more in taxes than it receives in government funding.

Actually, I meant Quebec not Montreal, which wasn't clear at all in my badly worded post.

But if Montreal wants to send us some money, I won't complain ;).

I believe this story is more about an improvement in Montreal unemployment than about an increase in Toronto's. Montreal is a cheap city to live and do business in, and has prospered recently since separatism has ceased to be such a threat. Montreal nearly cut its unemployment rate in half, and Toronto's increased marginally over the same period. Now they're statistically equal.

As far as tax goes, Miller has quietly begun to reduce business property taxes in Toronto, credited with spurring some of the new construction projects in the financial district.

Back