They seem to be grasping at straws, as oppose to something tangible and reasonable. And putting the developer in a catch 22 bind with the objections, seems more political in motivation than anything of actual concern, IMO.

The City does have aright to voice their objections to something they don't like, as far as I am concerned. But when they allowed far more crappier stuff to go up, then I can only take their concerns with a grain salt at best here. So I only hope this building gets built regardless.

How thin do you want to split hairs here man? Yes, the Planning Committee was established in 1975 "to report [to council] on all planning matters coming within Council's jurisdiction", but to say that "there was no city planning" before that is just false.
I don't mean to correct everyone about everything - I'm sorry. I meant that there was no formal planning system (SPA, Official Plan) before the Planning Act was passed in 1990. There definitely were planning commissions, but they focused primarily on zoning and didn't have comprehensive planning. Now that we have a lot of rules, this development needs to have a harmonious expression with the skyline (there are no clear rules for that even means) and planners can refuse to approve it if they personally think it doesn't fit in.

The "Existing Massing" view below is so disingenuous because in reality from the south there is a cluster of buildings in front of it and its width only pokes above them.

50699699887_60f9654bfe_k.jpg

I don't see what the big deal is here. This is a solid development and there's already tons of future growth coming just further north that will be just as or even more imposing than Union Centre.

The city has issues with this building on the skyline but takes no objections with Daniels Condos or the other East Bayfront wonders blocking out our gorgeous bank towers?

I don't mean to correct everyone about everything - I'm sorry. I meant that there was no formal planning system (SPA, Official Plan) before the Planning Act was passed in 1990. There definitely were planning commissions, but they focused primarily on zoning and didn't have comprehensive planning. Now that we have a lot of rules, this development needs to have a harmonious expression with the skyline (there are no clear rules for that even means) and planners can refuse to approve it if they personally think it doesn't fit in.
Planning in Ontario can be traced back to the City and Suburbs Plan Act of 1912. The first Planning and Development Act was passed in 1917. It was very limited in scope but it included precursors to modern Official Plans. It's been amended, expanded, and replaced various times over the decades and has evolved into the modern Planning Act. So a formal comprehensive planning system, including OPs and site plans, was in place long before 1990.

In several threads, there have been people expressing anxiety over the fate of Toronto's commercial office market.

I have some insight, but there's a limited amount I can share.

Something I wish to flag is what the CEO of Westbank has to say

"We’d start digging tomorrow if we could,” said Westbank CEO Ian Gillespie. “We have enterprises who are very interested...."

From this article:

Subsequently, today, the Globe is noting that Amazon has just inked deals for another 100,000ft2 in 2 different towers as per the article linked below.

Barring any surprises to me..............this won't be the last article this year on new office deals being inked.

Last edited:
This year? That’s a few weeks away!
I have no inside knowledge on this one, but given the hints I’m expecting Amazon to take a ridiculous amount of space in a new tower quite shortly.

I decline to comment on your supposition.

This year? That’s a few weeks away!
I have no inside knowledge on this one, but given the hints I’m expecting Amazon to take a ridiculous amount of space in a new tower quite shortly.

Also....the Dream Tower on King West is out this morning.

Truthfully, I was meaning the next 12 months........but it's unlikely you'll have to wait for this time next year to hear what's in the pipeline.

Frankly, I'll take the queues from the people investing billions of dollars into Toronto office space over what random people opining on the future of office on twitter and facebook say.

Dream's announcement today is yet another vindication of the strength of the Toronto office market.

A lot of people have been quick to declare the death of offices because of the pandemic. I know the media need their clicks, but I think people need to be careful not to come to conclusions about permanent trends arising from a temporary pandemic while we're still in it. Face to face human contact has real value. Zoom and VPNs can't replace that.

In several threads, there have been people expressing anxiety over the fate of Toronto's commercial office market.

I have some insight, but there's a limited amount I can share.

Something I wish to flag is what the CEO of Allied has to say

"We’d start digging tomorrow if we could,” said Westbank CEO Ian Gillespie. “We have enterprises who are very interested...."

From this article:

Subsequently, today, the Globe is noting that Amazon has just inked deals for another 100,000ft2 in 2 different towers as per the article linked below.

Barring any surprises to me..............this won't be the last article this year on new office deals being inked.
It's not Union Centre.

A lot of people have been quick to declare the death of offices because of the pandemic. I know the media need their clicks, but I think people need to be careful not to come to conclusions about permanent trends arising from a temporary pandemic while we're still in it. Face to face human contact has real value. Zoom and VPNs can't replace that.
I agree, the pandemic is not going to last forever. They never do. So folks need to think of that future as just opposed to the reality now (to which I whole heartily agree is pretty grim).

It does appear though that those involved in office development and such are aware of and thinking of a brightening future where this is concerned.

Back